Software Systems Engineer IV
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
Are you a motivated and customer-oriented Software Systems Engineer eager to apply your leadership skills to a large portfolio of challenging software development projects?
Do you have a passion and a vision for revolutionizing mission tools that enable mission planning, sequencing, and execution? If this sounds like you, join our team!
The Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) project operates the Curiosity Rover on Mars and is seeking an experienced Software Systems Engineer. This will be an opportunity to apply your project and organization leadership skills and partner with other experts to implement advanced web technologies to lead and shape the architecture of complex tools used by the project. You will be responsible for:
- Oversight of systems engineering efforts, including test engineering
- Maintenance and enforcement of development processes and standards
- Technical quality of deliverables – products, procedures, documentation
- Analysis and approval of detailed design of architecture
- Identification of technical risks and recommendation of responses to those risks
- Development or approval of responses to customer identified issues
- Provide feedback and input at technical review meetings
- Determination of contents and prioritization of development tasks for each delivery
- Planning and execution of development and test sprints
- Participate in interviewing and selection for software test and development team positions
- Typically requires Bachelor's degree in relevant discipline plus 9 or more years of experience; or Master's degree in relevant discipline plus 7 or more years of experience; or Doctorate in relevant discipline plus 5 years of experience. (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or relevant discipline).
- Demonstrated strong strategic thinking skills, and ability to see and convey the big picture.
- Broad development experience (Python, Java, Node.js, Angular, React)
- Experience architecting large highly performant applications on distributed system environments
- Extensive knowledge in utilizing RESTful web services framework
- Familiarity with application containerization and orchestration (Docker, Kubernetes)
- Strong critical thinking and synthesis; ability to deal with ambiguity and adapt to a fast-paced, customer-focused operation.
- Excellent listening and communications
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/designated_country_list_8-16-2019_tagged_0.pdf
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109