SW Cmptg Sys Undergraduate Student III
Do you excel in an environment that values exploration and discovery? We have a universe of opportunities waiting for you!
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) is NASA’s lead center for robotic exploration of the solar system. Our core competency is the end-to-end implementation of unprecedented robotic space missions to study Earth, the Solar System, and the Universe.
JPL, located in Pasadena, California, has a casual, campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We are proud to be part of NASA and Caltech, as we explore the universe and make history through new discoveries.
We aim to do things never done before and to go places few can go. We dare mighty things…do you?
The Mission Systems & Operations Division is responsible for:
- End-to-end lifecycle responsibility for mission system development and operations, including mission analysis, design and planning, and mission operations development and execution for JPL flight projects ranging from airborne, to earth-orbiting to deep space missions.
- Systems development leadership for systems used in mission execution including operations systems, data systems, software, human interfaces, automation and autonomy, and enabling research and technology.
- Mission operations leadership in systems, science and instruments, navigation, mission sequencing, engineering, mission control, real-time data operations, and data processing, analysis and archival.
We are looking to hire summer interns for the Mission Systems & Operation Division where you will be providing software development and user support for flight missions and/or technology development.
Desired majors include (but are not limited to): Computer Science/Engineering, Software Engineering, System Engineering, Information Science, Data Science, Aerospace and Aeronautical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Applied Sciences, Astronomy/Astrophysics, Physics, Planetary Science, Geology & Earth Science.
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university pursuing a Bachelors, Masters, or PhD degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or similar discipline.
- Must be able to work full time (40 hours/week) for 8-12 weeks during the summer.
- Must have a minimum cumulative 3.0 out of 4.0 GPA.
- Has some familiarity in one or more of the following areas: software and software development life cycle, software build automation and continuous integration.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Prior internship experience in related software or systems discipline.
- Participation in student organizations.
- Prior experience in developing software in a team environment.
- Knowledge of modern software development tools and practices (Git, GitHub, Agile methodology, DevOps, etc.)
- Knowledge of software systems with strong system debugging and problem solving skills.
- Prior experience integrating automated testing with problem reporting or work flow systems.
- Knowledge of spacecraft systems and telemetry data packaging and processing.
- Knowledge of object-oriented or service-oriented design patterns.
- Knowledge of SSL certificate and data encryption algorithm.
- Knowledge of JPL Software Development Standard Practices (SDSPs).
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/designated_country_list_8-16-2019_tagged_0.pdf
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109