Staff Assistant II
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
The Project Systems Engineering & Formulation Section provides lifecycle leadership in the formulation, planning and execution of the project systems engineering function for JPL space flight missions from concept development through completion of post-Launch checkout and commissioning. Providing formulation services from concept ideation, to the full expression of that concept in formulation phase products, the creative and innovative personnel within this section are responsible for the leadership for project-wide systems engineering efforts, and the delivery of project-level systems engineering products.
The Project Systems Engineering & Formulation Section is seeking a Staff Assistant Level 2. You will be responsible for performing administrative/clerical support to multiple technical groups within the section and back-up support to the Section Office. You will be a member of the Business Administration Group and report to the Business Administration Manager.
The ideal candidate will have previously demonstrated a strong sense of collaborative, team player philosophy, knowledge of applicable Laboratory policies and procedures, as well as excellent teaming and communication skills, professionalism, a strong work ethic, a process improvement mindset, and the ability to provide excellent customer service.
- Preparing and processing foreign and domestic travel, generating travel reports, processing affiliate badge requests for domestic and foreign visitors and escorting visitors as necessary
- P-card purchasing, processing requisitions and iProcurement orders
- Coordinate meetings via Outlook, maintaining conference room schedules, arranging conference calls via WebEx
- Assisting with preparation of presentations, graphics, and website inputs, including proofreading and editing, coordinating office moves and new hire preparations.
- May assist in performing ergonomic evaluations, updating Work Authorization Memos, coordinating on-site and off-site workshops and other ad hoc assignments.
- High School diploma with a minimum of 6 years of related experience; Associates degree with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; related required training.
- Experience in the secretarial profession with strong organizational, computer and interpersonal skills.
- Strong planning and scheduling skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure on multiple complex tasks, and work independently with minimal supervision to meet commitments with high quality products.
- Motivated self-starter who takes the initiative to establish and implement process improvements.
- Ability to evaluate situations and apply good judgment in any necessary resolution.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel and provide excellent customer service.
- Must exercise proper discretion when handling assignments of a discreet nature and when dealing with sensitive material.
- Must be a team player.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Extensive understanding of JPL/Engineering & Science Directorate policies, procedures, and practices.
- Staff Assistant experience in a technical section office environment.
- Experience with JPL tools such as Docushare, JPLID, UCS, Travel and Timekeeping.
- Knowledge of JPL procurement processes such as Purchase Requisition, P-Card and iProcurement.
- Familiarity with the JPL-ID process and on-boarding of volunteers, affiliates, and foreign nationals.
- Experience with Microsoft SharePoint and Alfresco.
- Experience with JPL foreign and domestic travel policies and procedures.
- Willingness to look for, learn, and apply new Information Technology (IT) tools to office procedures and processes.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/designated_country_list_8-16-2019_tagged_0.pdf
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109