Inst Admin Ops Undergraduate Student III
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
You will be a summer intern supporting the Mission Systems and Operations Division (39) and report to the Division Business Administration Manager or a Section Business Administration Manager. You will be provided with hands-on work experience in the area of general business administration. You will be responsible for assisting with assignments in support of the Division's strategic goals and objectives and will assist with the Division and/or Section business operations in accordance with JPL policies and procedures. Some of your duties may include, but are not limited to: assisting with budgets and financial reporting utilizing Institutional tools; assisting with workforce reports; and providing support in various administration tasks that may include office moves, supporting and coordinating safety and environmental corrective actions, electronic library organization, web site updates, processing procurement requests, and other ad hoc administrative tasks.
You may be assigned a project with milestones which will be presented at the end of the summer internship. You may work independently or on teams and may have the opportunity to lead a small team to help develop and streamline process flows.
You will use applicable JPL and NASA policies, procedures and practices as guides to determine work methods to help deliver results. Your work will be reviewed for accuracy and overall adequacy by either management or senior members of the section. You will interact with technical and business professionals within the Science Division. You will be given random business projects and task and expected to take responsibility and ownership of your work. You will be expected to give recommendations on some assigned work and will have the opportunity to propose new work techniques.
- Must be currently enrolled at an accredited college or university pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, Management, Computer Information Systems, Information Technology or similar disciplines.
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- Must be available to work full-time for 8-12 weeks during the summer.
- Must have familiarity in one or more of the following areas: Business Administration, Business Management, Financial Analysis, Economics, Budgeting and Reporting, or Workforce Planning.
- Completed coursework with exposure to standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in Business Administration and Operations.
- Knowledge and experience with MS Office, especially excel.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Prior internship/volunteer experience in related business disciplines.
- Participation in student/volunteer organizations.
- Strong analytical skills
- Advanced Excel skills
- Experience with system administration and databases.
- Experience with leading small groups or teams.
- Experience with website design and maintenance.
- Experience with Wiki development
- Programming language (C++, Java, Python, etc)
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/designated_country_list_8-16-2019_tagged_0.pdf
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109