Data Scientist IV
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
Are you intrigued about artificial intelligence and autonomous systems?
Be part of the team leading the development of innovative space technologies such as self-piloting and onboard science processing systems.
The Artificial Intelligence Group works on fundamental research problems leading to unique software applications in spacecraft autonomy, scientific data analysis, and mission operations automation and onboard analysis for real-time decisions.
Development projects will include automation of ground and flight operations for communications stations, space missions, marine vehicles, aerial vehicles, including fleets of vehicles.
You will use Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning technologies to partially and fully automate critical systems for scheduling, planning and resource allocation. You will initiate and lead new efforts in these areas.
Your job will entail but is not limited to:
- Perform analysis on a wide variety of large and disparate datasets using highly complex and novel techniques
- Develop novel, complex scheduling algorithms for autonomous systems that must interpret large amounts of input state, constraint, and event data to generate actions and scheduled to achieve higher level goals. Advance state of the art in the area, routinely publishes such advances
- Communicate results to internal and external customers
- Apply and combine current and emerging techniques and tools in novel ways
- Develop and combine complex data analysis techniques and methods for a specific application
- Design and develop software tools for data analytics
- Develop system requirements
- Formulate new concepts
- Typically requires a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related discipline with a minimum of 9 years of related experience; Master's degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 7 year of related experience; or PhD with a minimum of 5 year of related experience in similar disciplines
- Significant knowledge in one or more related fields of the following areas: software development, artificial intelligence, search, operations research, resource allocation mechanisms, quantitative modeling, machine learning, computer vision, risk models, decision theory, and probabilistic methods
- Experience in wide application of principles, theories, concepts and techniques in modern programming languages such as C++, Python, Java, Hadoop map-reduce, R, Ruby, SAS, Artificial Intelligence Techniques and concepts
- Experience in automation and analysis systems for logistics or robotic autonomous systems
- Experience and background in Artificial Intelligence, Optimization, Search, Scheduling, Resource Allocation, Operations Research, or related fields
- Extensive knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in Software design & development and Computer Science
- Experience in interdisciplinary team leadership
- Experience in writing proposals, task plans, and research publications for peer reviewed forums
- Experience in formulating new concepts, visions, and technology thrusts
- Experience in formulating and leading cross institutional efforts
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/designated_country_list_8-16-2019_tagged_0.pdf
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109