Computer Systems Engineer IV
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We are seeking a motivated and experienced Cloud Computing Senior Engineer to lead and manage all aspects of the JPL Cloud Service. You will work with key stakeholders within the Office of the CIO and user community at JPL to ensure the cloud is the most effective compute and storage capacity provider for JPL and that it facilitates and enables innovation and execution for the JPL institution and missions. As the lead Cloud Computing Senior Engineer on a cross-organizational team, you will manage service components including Definition (scope), Alignment, and Innovation. You will prioritize Support, Protection (Cyber and Governance) and Analytics (Budgets, Cost Models, and Consumption trends) for the Service Reliability Engineer and Support teams
We value excellent communication skills, agility in adapting to change and proven success in working with high-performing teams with a focus on continuous improvement and optimization.
- Lead the operational design, maintenance, and operation of cloud based platforms (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, etc.)
- Be the main point-of-contact for all aspects of the Cloud Infrastructure service.
- Maintain and manage a multi-year cloud computing roadmap for JPL and manage the portfolio of Cloud infrastructure services and projects
- Develop service strategy from demand forecasts and business partner engagement in the context of Office of the CIO strategy for Cloud - “Cloud First”, and “One Logical Datacenter” initiatives
- Align and guide cross-functional teams in Cloud Ops (Engineering, Support, Security and Compliance) to deliver on key projects/initiatives.
- Coordinate cross-functional teams responsible for cloud infrastructure architecture, performance, availability, incident, capacity, budget, configuration, and change management processes and tools to support 24x7 uptime and availability SLAs.
- Oversee all cloud related development and improvement projects and prioritize all work
- Develop and execute customer engagement and adoption strategies for Cloud Infrastructure
- Ensure consulting, customer engagement, and alignment of cloud resources and roadmaps with the needs of the Laboratory
- Manage, monitor, and report on the health and performance of cloud services to OCIO Executive Teams, IT users and Stakeholders, and customers
- Manage vendor engagements, onsite visits, training, and partnering strategies
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Technology, Information Systems or related discipline with a minimum of 9 years of related experience or Master's degree in similar discipline with a minimum of 7 years of related experience or PhD in similar discipline with minimum of 5 years of related experience.
- Experience with cloud computing including hands-on, management, and presenting to senior management about cloud computing plans.
- Demonstrated experience advising management and customers on extremely complex and significant issues.
- Demonstrated discretion and independent judgment in evaluating potential approaches and solutions to new and unusual problems with organization- wide impact and determining appropriate resolutions.
- Demonstrated leadership in multidisciplinary cross-functional program and team management.
- Proven ability to direct work, inspire, mentor and coach others internal and external to institution and scope of responsibility.
- Demonstrated positive team results on all components of critical projects and assignments, including performance standards, budget and schedule.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/designated_country_list_8-16-2019_tagged_0.pdf
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109