Flight System Engineer III
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
This unique opportunity is part of the Autonomous Systems Division, which is responsible for technology development, advanced concepts, design, development, delivery, integration and test, verification and validation, and operation of Command and Data Handling (C&DH) Hardware, Flight Software, Power Systems, Robotic Systems, and Guidance and Control.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
JPL’s Electronics Design Validation & Test Group plays an essential role in the Flight Electronics Section. As a Systems Engineer, you will work with other systems engineer, test leads, hardware and FPGA designers to design, integrate and execute test plans and procedures for specialized, mission-critical hardware and software systems used for avionics and flight system verification.
Our customers include flight software delivery managers, product delivery managers, system testbeds, verification and validation engineers, system integration and test and mission operations managers.
In this role, you will collaborate with other engineers supporting the Psyche mission.
This role is ideal for a candidate who can closely work with engineers in order to successfully meet the demands of flight projects. The job entails understanding unit, board and FPGA level hardware requirements and inherited test procedures/scripts; modifying and creating new test requirements, procedures and scripts; decomposition of test requirements to unit, board, FPGA or test software; thoroughly testing flight hardware functions and delivering systems to flight projects.
- Develop, test and execute plans that will meet the requirements of the validation effort.
- Hardware/software and system level integration and test, including resolution of technical issues.
- Develop test software and hardware under the direction of senior engineers.
- Document products within design documents and user manuals.
- Execute performance and regression testing using simulation and/or test equipment.
- Deploy test sets for other customer (internal/external to JPL) uses.
- Support anomaly investigation.
- Present planning activities in coordination with task leads at major avionics design review milestones.
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Aero/Astronautics or Mechanical Engineering, Optics, Physics, or related discipline with a minimum of 6 years of related experience; or Master’s degree with a minimum of 4 year of related experience; or a PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 2 years related experience.
Specific qualifications include:
- Demonstrated ability to translate unit (box) level avionics hardware requirements down to FPGA level, including test and simulation.
- Demonstrated skills in designing, implementing, and testing electronic hardware or instruments that are used within complex space systems.
- Demonstrated knowledge of processes that are used to verify/validate the design requirements of hardware systems.
- Experience with UNIX or Linux operating systems.
- Expertise developing in Tcl and or Perl scripting language.
- Experience with digital electronics at board, unit and system level; digital data busses and protocols.
- Experience integrating and testing hardware/software interfaces.
- Experience preparing highly complex test procedures and test scripts for functional, performance and/or environmental testing.
- Demonstrated ability to partner with other engineers and management to resolve anomalies, complex and critical issues and aide data analysis for testing summaries and reports.
- Experience using ground support equipment in addition to standard lab equipment (Oscilloscopes, DMM’s, power meters, etc) used for testing electronic assemblies
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated effectiveness in a team environment.
- Ability to work independently under a set schedule.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Knowledge of one or more high-level general-purpose programming languages, such as C/C++, Java, Python, or similar language.
- Demonstrated leadership in technical direction of other test and integration engineers.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with real-time operating system.
- Familiarity with model based systems engineering (MBSE) tools and techniques.
- Ability to capture customer requirements.
- Basic understanding of system engineering and development process.
- Strong interest infusing new approaches to verification and test development into legacy developments.
- Advanced knowledge of JPL and NASA practices and standards as they relate to test bed activities is strongly preferred.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/designated_country_list_8-16-2019_tagged_0.pdf
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109