Information Science Summer Intern - User Experience Design
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
Design Systems: you've heard of them, you've experienced them as an end user, but have you ever wondered what goes into building one?
JPL's Enterprise Business Information Services (EBIS) Division is looking for a summer intern with a passion for design and being at the forefront of new technologies. Join us as we step into the new decade with a brand-new design system that is both streamlined and intuitive. By the end of this internship, you will walk away with in-depth experience of building a digital component library from initial ideation all the way to live components.
We are looking for someone who is truly enthusiastic about starting a grassroots effort and all of the work that is entailed.
The User Experience (UX) Design Intern engages the entirety of EBIS and our partners, serving as a key role with all our business application implementation teams. We require a strategic minded UX designer who loves engaging both functional and technical professionals in the constant endeavor to improve our utilization of technology.
- Enrolled in a Bachelor degree program at a 4-year college or university majoring in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related subject.
- Have a minimum 3.0 out of a 4.0 cumulative GPA.
- Be available for full-time work for a minimum of 8 weeks.
- Should be returning to college for at least one semester/quarter in the fall of 2020.
- Familiarity with at least one of the following development platforms: Atom, Notepad++, GitHub, VS Code, Terminal/Command Prompt, NetBeans, Android Studio, Xcode)
- Familiarity with at least one of the following design platforms: Adobe Creative Cloud, Sketch, Figma, InVision)
- Translate user needs into intuitive software experiences
- Participate and direct the creative process from concept to completion
- Work directly with product owners, business partners, and IT engineering to understand user needs, define product vision and road map, and translate them into software
- Prototyping and design of interfaces, interactions, and patterns for a design system in EBIS
- Familiarity with standard IT security practices such as encryption, certificates and key management.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/designated_country_list_8-16-2019_tagged_0.pdf
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109