Flight System Engineer VI
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
Flight System Engineer VI to report to the Mars Sample Return Campaign Systems Engineering Office Manager (6080). Lead and manage the formulation of the Mission System for the Campaign, including the interface integration of the operations of the constituent missions (Sample Retrieval Lander (SRL), Earth Return Orbiter (ERO), and Mars 2020), and their associated elements. Lead and manage the development, V&V, and delivery of the Campaign level Mission Design and interfaces across Mission Operations Systems, and Ground Systems, in coordination with the corresponding elements across the constituent missions. In support of the Campaign Science Coordination Office, establish the operations strategy to return the highest science value sample suite within the capabilities and constraints of the Campaign and the constituent missions.
- Bachelors degree in engineering, science or similar discipline with typically a minimum of 12 years of related experience; Masters degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 10 years of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 8 years related experience.
- Knowledge and experience in development and/or operations of complex space systems.
- Leadership and management experience leading multi-disciplinary teams in one or more of the following: Mission Design/Navigation, Mission Operations, Mission Engineering, Project Systems Engineering.
- Extensive experience working effectively with multiple organizations inside and outside JPL: NASA HQ, other NASA centers, other government agencies, international partners, Principal Investigators and the science community, industrial partners, academic institutions, and JPL organizations.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills, organizational skills, leadership abilities, and communication skills.
- Highly developed leadership skills and experience with the ability to motivate teams and individuals.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in development and/or operations of a Mars surface mission and/or Mars orbiter mission.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in the roles and charters of the JPL matrix organization as applies to project implementation and operations.
- Expert knowledge of industry and/or academic practices and standards across a range of applications related to NASA flight programs.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/designated_country_list_8-16-2019_tagged_0.pdf
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109