Staff Assistant III
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
As a Section Staff Assistant Level 3, you will provide administrative & clerical support to several groups within the section and provide backup to the Section Office. This position will provide support to the Optics Section Management and group 3830, including complex travel arrangements, and coordinating domestic and international meetings. This primarily is an administrative support position, requiring a solid customer service background, strong organizational skills, and flexibility in the performance of the job. You will be a member of the Business Administration Section (3813) and report to the Business Administration Manager.
The tasks for this position may include, but are not limited to:
- Provide staff assistant support to group members and be an alternate to support the Section Management office.
- Coordinate and maintain busy and complex calendars; schedule and maintain technical interchange meetings, set up and host WebEx conference calls.
- Process and prepare complex domestic and foreign travel logistics/bookings, authorization requests, and expense reports.
- Coordinate and submit foreign travel and heavily-attended forecasts.
- Perform other subject matter expert duties for travel policies and procedures and timekeeping.
- Submit visitor and affiliate on-boarding requests, including foreign nationals, and assist with escorting of visitors, and interviewees.
- Update onboarding checklist for new employees and affiliates.
- Order keys, acquire IT equipment through ManTech catalog, and activate/deactivate ports as needed for Section personnel.
- Compose and edit correspondence and presentation materials.
- Assist with coordination of special events for the Section, such as workshops and conferences, and other and ad hoc activities.
- Participate on teams within own organization; may also participate on teams outside own organization.
- Other ad hoc duties, as assigned.
- Typically requires a High School diploma with a minimum of 8 years of related experience; Associates degree with a minimum of 4 years of related experience; or Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; related required training.
- Extensive expertise in the secretarial profession with strong organizational, computer and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent planning and scheduling skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure on multiple complex tasks, and work independently with minimal supervision to meet commitments with high quality products.
- Motivated self-starter who takes the initiative to establish and implement process improvements.
- Ability to evaluate situations and apply good judgment in any necessary resolution.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel and provide excellent customer service.
- Must exercise proper discretion when handling assignments of a discreet nature and when dealing with sensitive material.
- Must be a team player.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Expert in handling JPL foreign and domestic travel policies and procedures
- Extensive understanding of JPL/ESD policies, procedures, and practices.
- Staff Assistant experience in a technical environment.
- Experience with JPL tools such as JPLID, UCS, Concur Travel, and Timekeeping.
- Knowledge of JPL procurement processes such as Purchase Requisition, P-Card and iProcurement.
- Familiarity with the JPL-ID process and on-boarding of volunteers, affiliates, and foreign nationals.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.