Configuration Management Engineer II
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one-step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something, that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
Do you have a passion for space exploration and Configuration Management Systems? Are you a strategic thinker who enjoys the challenge of developing and improving engineering practices and processes?
The Enterprise and Information Systems Engineering Section provides safe and effective cross-cutting information management and engineering processes, tools, and services that are specially designed to serve the needs of the Laboratory’s scientists, engineers, and technicians, including information management, software and hardware configuration management, cyber defense mission engineering and research, toolchain development and management, and library, records and archival services. The Section also provides leadership in Enterprise Systems Engineering, encompassing the collection of systems, processes, data, and information that enable JPL to serve the nation by exploring space in the pursuit of discoveries that benefit humanity.
We invite you to join the Special Programs Information and Configuration Management Group to serve as an Information and Configuration Management Engineer Level 2. Reporting functionally to the Special Programs Information and Configuration Management Group Supervisor and programmatically to the Pressure Systems Services Group, which certifies and maintains the pressure systems database of all of JPL’s Oak Grove facility ground-based pressure systems.
We seek a motivated individual that can strategically lead teams, and initiate and lead tasks that need to be performed across a spectrum of engineering disciplines.
The Information and Configuration Management Engineer (ICME) is responsible for providing support for the Pressure Systems Services Group including:
- Performing configuration reviews of all pressure system certifications and submissions
- Formatting and uploading all data into the pressure systems database
- Providing guidance to team members regarding certification package contents, consistency, compliance and adherence to processes
- Providing monthly and intermittent reporting on various team performance metrics from database activity
- Planning and executing the change control process
- Investigating alternate methods when needed and recommending improvements to management
- Typically have a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Library and Information Science, or related field with a minimum of 3 years of related experience or a Master’s degree with a minimum of 1 year of related experience or a PhD degree with a minimum of 0 years of related experience.
- Must have an understanding of the CM discipline; experience coordinating and collaborating efficiently in a multifaceted environment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proficient in MS Office, especially with advanced features of MS Excel.
- Proficient in SharePoint 2013 as a site owner, especially working with document libraries, lists, and site permissions.
- Detail-oriented with a systems-thinking mindset.
- Work independently and handle ambiguity (i.e., able to generate solutions without being asked).
- Extensive knowledge of SharePoint 2013, including workflows and site collection administration
- Expert in MS Excel (VBA programming, Pivot Charts, vlookup)
- Business intelligence experience or proven ability to interpret data with respect to larger business need
- Ability to identify issues, and recommend and implement solutions
- Initiative, decision-making, problem solving
- Ability and interest in serving as a liaison between IT and users (identifying process issues, recommending solutions, documenting bugs)
- Working knowledge in pressure systems engineering
- Ability to effectively interface with multiple levels of management, operations personnel and technical experts
- Familiarity with Non-Destructive Testing methods to include any of Visual Testing (VT), Ultrasonic Testing (UT), Radiographic Testing (RT), or Penetrant Testing (PT)
- Familiarity with any of ASME Pressure Vessel and Pressure Piping Codes, Cal/OSHA Unified Pressure Vessel Code, hydrogen systems, acutely hazardous gas systems, cryogenic systems, hazardous materials, and federal, state, and local regulatory compliance requirements
- Knowledge of applicable JPL policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/designated_country_list_8-16-2019_tagged_0.pdf
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109