New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We are seeking a motivated and analytical individual that can work well, both independently and in a team environment, to serve as an Audit Coordinator III in our Audit Liaison Office (ALO). This unique opportunity is part of the Controller and Financial Planning Office, which supports the exploration and innovation of the laboratory’s missions by working with our colleagues and subcontractors to guarantee compliance to the Prime Contract and maintain the integrity of JPL’s financials. The Division’s functions encompass Institutional Accounting, Travel and Invoice Management, Financial Planning, Analysis & Compliance, and the CFP Strategic Planning Office. The Division ensures that the finance and accounting policy and procedures of the laboratory are efficient, effective and compliant with relevant regulations so that JPL can "Dare Mighty Things". We pride ourselves on providing innovative solutions to overcome business challenges facing JPL on a regular basis. Our collaborative teaming approach ensures us a unique window into the amazing work being accomplished at JPL.
As an Audit Coordinator III, you will be working for The Financial Planning, Analysis and Compliance Section in the Audit Liaison Office. In this role, you will be responsible for serving as JPL's principal liaison with all internal and external audit organizations, during audit activities at JPL.
Some Challenges You Will Tackle:
- Provide accounting/financial guidance and advice as needed.
- Provide outreach to customers regarding applicable regulatory and contractual compliance matters.
- Provide audit support as requested by the customers.
- Recommend solutions regarding complex matters related to responding to and closing audit findings.
- Monitor implementation schedules from Lab organizations that have major open audit findings ensuring timely closure.
- Analyze complex audit reports from internal and external audits.
- Liaise with appropriate levels of JPL management and external interfaces.
- Coordinate access to needed information during all phases of complex audits related to the Prime Contract and coordinate logistics associated with audits.
- Advise auditees' during all phases of an audit.
- Resolve obstacles affecting audit completion.
- Advise on initial and follow-up audit responses for internal and external audits.
- Develop formal written communication of audit results.
- Prepare initial and follow-up audit responses for internal and external audits.
- Participate on cross-functional process improvement and implementation teams as requested.
- Mentor and coach others, internal and external to the organization.
- Perform special ad-hoc assignments for JPL Senior Management as requested.
- Exercise discretion and independent judgement in evaluating potential audit issues and recommending solutions.
You Must Have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline, with a minimum of 6 years of related experience; Master's degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 4 years of related experience.
- Knowledge in the Accounting field with experience in the Government Contract Audit and Compliance discipline.
- Knowledge of complex risk-based assessment techniques and audit processes
- Wide-ranging experience and advanced expertise in one or more related fields of: Cost Accounting Standards (CAS), Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), OMB Uniform Guidance and Government Auditing Standards (GAS).
- A complete understanding and wide application of principles, theories, and concepts in accounting and/or auditing.
- Design mindset with the ability to represent and develop task and work processes for desired outcomes.
- Ability to coordinate, write, edit, and produce a wide range of technical reports on audits and compliance with applicable regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet commitments, including deadlines and budgets.
- Advanced skills in PC/Windows platform and Microsoft Office.
Got These? Even Better:
- Demonstrated skills in leading a multi-functional team for a project, activity, or function, within scope of assigned responsibility.
- Ability to develop creative and innovative solutions.
- Ability to leverage new media literacy for efficient and persuasive communication.
- Possess strong presentation skills and a working knowledge with supporting visual aids.
- Knowledge of Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations across a range of applications including the NASA FAR Supplement.
- Demonstrated ability to be adaptable, flexible, and resilient.
- Excellent critical analysis, complex problem solving and strategic planning skills.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.