Application and Middleware Manager
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
Do you like to squeeze the last bit of performance out of systems? Do you obsess about metrics and key performance indicators? Do you consider downtime a crime? Do you prefer cattle over pets? Do you have a desire to play a part in furthering JPL’s business IT services to support our outstanding planetary, Earth science and space-based missions? We are looking for an IT leader to do just that!
The Enterprise Business Information Services (EBIS) Division maintains stewardship over the ever-evolving business applications portfolio supporting the Laboratory's robust and sophisticated business functions. EBIS manages and executes the full systems lifecycle across all major business functions and processes, provides technical services and solutions, and strategically partners with Laboratory communities. EBIS is undergoing a revolution in our information technology. We are moving to a cloud native architecture to respond quickly to JPL’s current and future business needs. Our key organizational initiatives support the Laboratory in envisioning its future with the right set of business applications and tools, all made by possible by enabling IT professionals. Examples include migrations to cloud ERP/SaaS, custom application delivery services, all in a hybrid architecture encompassing multiple cloud and on premise services, with a balanced portfolio of open source and proprietary technologies, and middle-ware platforms to make it all work!
This exciting opportunity focuses on leading and supporting a team of IT infrastructure professionals across database administration, middle-ware technologies and platforms, business systems, and tools and technologies that support and operate JPL’s business expansive application portfolio.
- You will provide mentorship, guidance, and leadership to the division and to your team, and also directly handle partner concerns, resolve issues, and monitor the performance of business-critical systems to prevent delays and outages and quickly resolve ongoing issues. In partnership with other IT managers and teams, responsibilities include monitoring and servicing JPL’s business IT services including servers, networks, computer systems, and applications for irregularities and performance issues.
- You will assesses system data and error logs, along with system reports, to determine areas for improvement or repair.
- You will partner with peer IT managers and extended IT functions at JPL. The selected manager will closely partner with the EBIS Architecture/Capabilities/Technology (ACT) manager to implement groundbreaking cloud native architecture components and modern patterns such as Continuous Integration and Continuous Deployment.
- You and your team will champion a DevOps culture, by deeply embedding with our collaborative agile teams, ensuring a smooth transition into production. Partnering with other IT infrastructure and specialist IT teams to provide seamless, flexible, and modern IT infrastructures services both in JPL’s data centers and in the cloud that enable the delivery of customer-facing business applications and related IT services.
- Candidates will be self-starters who possess a strong desire for leading and developing people, collaborate with IT teams and partners, provides clarity in the face of ambiguity, and champions change. Candidates must exhibit JPL values of integrity, embrace innovation, build and operate an environment of openness and inclusion, and ensure quality in all that we do.
- Ideal candidates have a demonstrated ability to be strategic thinkers, use benchmarking, values diversity of perspectives, makes and owns the hard decisions, aligns their vision and goals to the needs of the business, and communicates effectively to both the team and partners alike.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, engineering, or related field with a minimum of 9 years of related experience; Master’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 7 years of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 5 years of related experience.
- Possess two years of prior lead or management experience
- Develop teams and employees through:
- Demonstrated continuous learning and putting into practice/adoption
- Job and career development and mentoring
- Exhibits soft skills and technical skills
- Has knowledge in architecting and operating IT infrastructure services for software products with significant expertise in the lower levels of the IT stack, from bare metal to middle ware
- Software application development and implementation
- Software system and IT infrastructure engineering
- Demonstrated ability to work closely and effectively in a team-based environment
- Experience in a corporate environment working within a midsize IT organization
- Experience should include:
- Technologies and platforms, such as solaris, linux, kubernetes, relational database management systems, etc.
- Cloud architecture including private and public, such as Amazon Web Services, Oracle Cloud, Azure, etc.
- On premise or cloud ERP, such as Oracle E-BS, Oracle ERP Cloud, Workday, etc.
- Experience with system automation and automated provisioning using such technologies as Terraform, Ansible, Chef or Puppet.
- Infrastructure monitoring experience such as Splunk, Prometheus, Grafana, or the ELK stack.
- Experience establishing and managing KPIs such as Mean Time Between Failures and Mean Time to Resolution
- Providing trend analysis to organizational leaders to enable us to make informed decisions regarding resource management
- Proactively monitor all data processing and batch jobs to ensure secure services with minimum downtime
- Demonstrate ability to operate a production environment 24 Earth-hours/day 7 days a week. On-call / off-hours deployments and support will be required
- Experience with Blue/Green or Canary deployments a plus
- Demonstrate effective working experiences with external IT service providers
NOTE: This position may be classified at one level higher than the posted level. A determination will be made once the final candidate has been identified.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.