Directorate Business Manager (OSMS)
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
The 5X Directorate (Office of Safety and Mission Success – OSMS) supports a myriad of research, flight project and business activities for 5X, JPL and NASA and is seeking a Directorate Business Manager to manage these activities and lead a team of business professionals within the OSMS organization. This position reports to the Director For OSMS.
Specific responsibilities are:
- Provide management, direction and oversight to the 5X business team supporting the Directorate, the Safety and Mission Assurance Engineering Office, the Occupational Safety Program Office, and the Environmental Affairs Program Office
- Full member of OSMS leadership Council (OSMSLC) providing input on strategic and operations decisions that have a long-term impact
- Manages the directorate’s business practices to identify opportunities and lead changes to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of business processes. Continually develops, evaluates, revises and monitors the business processes throughout the directorate, including infusing industry best practices as appropriate.
- Works Lab-wide to develop strong partnerships to collaboratively identify opportunities, and lead changes to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of business processes. Collaborates and advises leadership personnel throughout the institution of changes.
- Represents OSMS in all business forums. Participate in the planning, design and implementation of laboratory initiatives and policies by representing the division/directorate on various laboratory committees and teams. In addition, lead assigned Lab-wide committees and/or initiatives.
- Manages (including development and monitoring), and provides financial oversight, through Division and Section level supervisors and administrators, for the directorate’s financial accounts, including burden (operations and investments), direct, and service center portfolios, to ensure performance within schedule/budget constraints.
- Manages the financial aspects of the NASA ATPO (Assurance Technology Program Office) and NEPP (NASA Electronic Parts Program) program offices at JPL including interactions/coordination with the NASA OSMA/GSFC sponsors, financial management of the ATPO/NEPP activities at JPL and other support to JPL ATPO/NEPP management as requested.
- Maintains a safe work environment and is actively engaged in the Laboratory’s Safe at Work activities including management of/support to the Mission Essential Personnel, Special Circumstances and Re-Start activities, tools and processes.
- Develops and implements strategies and strategic plans for business within the Lab’s and OSMS’ overarching plans.
- Leads a diverse, highly qualified staff by providing career coaching, growth and professional development for direct reports. Encourages the same commitment from direct reports to their teams. Develops and implements training and educational opportunities for the directorate’s business and support staff.
- Ensures employee awareness and compliance with Laboratory policies, procedures and practices, and regulatory requirements.
- Directs and oversees special initiatives (i.e. new systems, upgrades, procedures) to significantly improve overall effectiveness of OSMS and the Lab.
- Collaborates with HR on human capital activities and initiatives.
- Develops proposals, acquires, and negotiates funding to implement OSMS strategy and initiatives with significant lab-wide impact.
- Collaborates with Executive Management on day-to-day operational issues with lab-wide impact.
- Collaborates with ESD business management when needed to coordinate business practices, processes and tools specific to engineering support at the Laboratory
- Bachelors or a higher degree in Business Administration, Finance, or a related discipline with a minimum of 12 years of professional experience, with 4 years of supervisory and/or management experience.
- Deep multidisciplinary knowledge of finance, workforce planning, personnel management, service center management, acquisition processes, project business management, formulation and task order development.
- Experience as a successful change agent.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong analytical reasoning skills.
- Ability to manage competing priorities.
- Proven ability to partner, communicate and interact effectively at all levels of Laboratory management, influence others and resolve challenging issues.
- Experience with JPL’s business processes and institutional systems for finance, human resources and information management, including support to project/ program performance assessment.
- Understanding of facilities planning, property management, acquisition, IT security and safety/environmental compliance.
- Experience with management of NASA research/technology development programs including interactions with NASA HQ and Center program leads and financial personnel.
- Experience with management of JPL research/technology development programs including interactions with institutional/program leads and financial personnel.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.