Business Administrator III
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That's our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you're driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you're ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence
We are looking to hire a Business Administrator Level 3 to be a member of the Business Administration Group (3417) in the Autonomous Systems Division, reporting to the Business Administration Manager. You will be the primary Business Administrator for the Mobility and Robotics Systems Section (347).
Tasks include but not limited to:
- Assist the Business Administration Manager with a variety of activities including budget development and financial planning, analysis, and reporting oversight, workforce analysis, rewards and recognition, facilities, safety, and property management across the section.
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and ad-hoc financial reports. Conduct data analysis as requested by management for strategic planning, performance reporting and forecasting.
- Organize and coordinate other team members to develop and coordinate best business practices across all functions.
- Serve as back-up for the Business Administration Manager and support various human resources activities.
- Will develop budgets, analyze financial data, run and distribute financial reports, create and review financial material for reviews as required.
- Oversee Affiliate Processing – Manage over 200 affiliates for the section working closely with the Educational Office, Acquisitions and JPL Security.
- Awards Management – Manage the allocation of the Bonus Awards program and coordinate the NASA Honor Award and Centralized Award nominations.
- Safety, Facilities, and Asset Management – serve as backup point of contact for directing safety, environmental, property and facility-related business operations. Assist the Business Administration Manager with office and lab space utilization including the coordination of equipment and infrastructure proposals, floor plans, moves and service requests.
- Oversee the coordination of special events/programs for the section.
- Provide direction and oversight on all aspects of a broad range of administrative functions.
- May act as liaison to other laboratory organizations, including representation of and participation on various committees.
- Perform ad hoc duties, as needed.
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration with a minimum of 6 years of related experience; or Master’s degree in similar disciplines with 4 years of related experience
- Wide-ranging experience and advanced knowledge in one or more of the following: budgeting, financial analysis, reporting, human resources, workforce planning, safety, property, and facility management.
- Advanced knowledge in one or more of the following areas: finance, budgeting, acquisitions, onboarding and off-boarding affiliate processing, property, facilities and safety.
- Strong leadership skills with experience identifying and implementing process improvements that increase office efficiency.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills with the ability to resolve complex issues.
- Strong communication and presentation skills with the ability to describe complex issues clearly and effectively.
- Must be reliable, organized and detail oriented, with the ability to adapt as work requirements and priorities change.
- Demonstrated ability to work successfully under pressure on multiple tasks, meet time commitments and deliver high-quality work products.
- Motivated self-starter who takes initiative to perform activities under minimal supervision and deliver timely results.
- Must have advanced skills in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, etc.).
- A successful history of establishing trust with customers and working as a strong, collaborative business partner.
- Must have the ability to use tact and discretion when working with sensitive or confidential data.
- Strong professional characteristics: trustworthy, responsible, hardworking, intellectually curious individual who takes initiative and ownership of work.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently and in a team environment, and be able to effectively lead teams of both business and technical groups.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, prioritize, multi-task and complete assignments with minimal supervision.
- Excellent customer service, organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Thorough knowledge of ESD organizational operations, applicable Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations.
- Significant exposure to JPL’s Institutional business processes and architecture, JPL’s Project Resource List, and Institutional Workforce Forecasting Tool.
- Advanced knowledge of JPL policies, procedures and practices as it relates to JPL Business Administration.
- Experience in the use of budgeting and reporting tools including Institutional Budgeting Tool (IBT), Data Extractor, Discoverer, COPA, OBIEE etc.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.