Mechanical Engineer - Entry Level
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
Our Mechanical Engineers have the unique opportunity to build the future of exploration. You'll be a part of mechanical design, fabrication, and testing, research, technology development, and creation of advanced mechanical, thermal, and propulsion systems for spacecrafts going to the furthest reaches of our universe.
Our Mechanical Engineers contribute in the following ways:
- Design engineering and drafting
- Design data management and control
- Maintaining hardware standards, testing standards, and design processes for flight hardware
- Computer aided engineering solutions for mechanical design and analysis
- Materials analysis, characterization, and testing
- Mechanical and electronic fabrication
- Environmental testing
Opportunities include, but are not limited to, the following areas:
- Spacecraft Mechanical Engineering
- Propulsion, Thermal, & Materials Engineering
- Payload & Small Spacecraft Mechanical Engineering
- Mechanical Fabrication & Test
- Bachelor's, Master's, or PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering or related major.
- Minimum of a 3.0/4.0 cumulative GPA.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.