Digital Signal Processing Engineer
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We are looking for a Digital Signal Processing Engineer level 3 to join JPL’s Reprogrammable Signal Processing Group within the Flight Communications Systems Section. As a member of the Reprogrammable Signal Processing Group you will have opportunity to be involved in all phases of product development from early concept, low technology readiness specification and prototyping to engineering and flight model development and implementation, functional and environmental testing, and flight operations support.
Some Challenges You Will Tackle:
- Work with multiple flight project and research and development teams to provide flight radio and ground support equipment (GSE) embedded software through all aspects of the development cycle including architecture, requirements and specifications, interface definition, development tools and platforms, design, coding, debugging, documentation, integration and testing, user training, and customer support.
- Embedded software functions include:
- Digital Signal Processing (DSP) on sampled radio frequency or intermediate frequency waveforms.
- Data framing and coding, standard protocol implementation.
- Telemetry production and handling.
- Science data handling and utilization.
- Participation in proposing of new work.
- Preparation for and support of reviews, status, and delivery meetings.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related technical discipline with typically a minimum of 6 years of related experience, a Master’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 4 years of related experience, or a Ph.D. in similar disciplines with a minimum of 2 years related experience.
- Experience with digital signal processing (DSP) techniques including adaptive processes, mixers, filters, synthesis, and stochastic processes.
- Ability to work across software interface boundaries to electronic and radio frequency circuitry, awareness of issues associated with radio frequency communications, navigation, and radar.
- Highly proficient in C and C++ programming languages with a minimum of 5 years of experience designing and coding embedded software.
- Experience with Python.
- Software engineering skill with strong debugging and problem-solving skills.
- Experience with Linux operating system.
- Good verbal and written communication skill to facilitate end users support.
- Knowledge of modern software development tools and practices ((GitHub, Jira, Agile methodology, etc.).
- Knowledge of container and runtime orchestration frameworks (e. g. Docker).
- Familiarity with USRP (Universal Software Radio Peripheral), GNU Radio, LabView and MatLab, RF circuit design, digital circuit design and board implementation.
- Familiarity with radio frequency measurements including media effects and data filtering techniques (such as Kalman filtering) and radio frequency regulatory issues.
- Knowledge of JPL Software Development Standard Practices.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.