Information Systems Security Officer Level III
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
Are you passionate about cybersecurity security and information systems security? Do you want to lead the operations and management of protection technologies for the security of JPL’s classified work environment? If you answered yes, then we have the right opportunity for you! At NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, we depend on innovation and technical excellence to develop and deploy secure IT systems and services that provide the edge we need to explore the universe and beyond.
We are looking for an Information Systems Security Officer to join our team who shares our passion for technology and security.
Some Challenges You Will Tackle:
- Provide technical leadership and operational expertise for the design, deployment, operations and maintenance of classified information systems.
- Report to the cognizant Information Systems Security Manager (ISSM) within the Information Technology Service Directorate and will work closely with system owners and information technology technicians to assess and verify security control baselines and ensure their technical implementations meet applicable standards.
- Interface with other cybersecurity and information technology staff to coordinate Assessment and Authorization activities.
- Work with the ISSM supporting the certification and proper implementation of the RMF to ensure the specified security controls are in place and properly tested and that all applicable information systems continue to function as described within the RMF accreditation package.
- You must be a U.S. citizen with an active Top Secret SSBI clearance and Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) eligible.
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems Management, Computer Science, Math or related discipline with a minimum of 6 years of related Cybersecurity experience; Master’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 4 years of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 2 years related experience
- Possess at least one of the Department of Defense (DoD) approved 8570 baseline workforce certifications, or must be certified within 6 months of hire date
- Willingness to submit to a counterintelligence polygraph
- Successful experience with system hardening, configuration testing, continuous monitoring and scanning using any of the following tools:
- SCAP, Nessus, Snort, Splunk policies and related Provide engineering solutions for all RMF accreditations throughout the entire systems/product lifecycle.
- Maintain a working knowledge of system functions, security policies, technical security safeguards, and operational protective measures.
- Recent experience implementing the Intelligence Community Directive (ICD) 503 and Risk Management Framework (RMF) principles, Assessment & Accreditation lifecycle, National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Special Publications including 800-53, Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) Publications 199 & 200, and Defense Security Service (DSS) processes including Office of the Designated Approving Authority (ODAA) Business Management System (OBMS) web-based system
- Knowledge of security concepts and best practices such as defense in-depth, least privilege, need-to-know, separation of duties, access controls, encryption, etc.
- Strong technical and social skills providing accountability and day-to-day support in ensuring classified automated information systems (AIS) are protected and operated in accordance with governing manuals.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- DoD 8570 IAT III or IAM II Compliant: CompTIA, ISACA, (ISC)2, or GIAC certification.
- Experience with Government, Risk and Compliance (GRC) tools such as Telos Xacta IA Manager, eMASS, or Trusted Agent FISMA (TAF).
- Experience and knowledge of using Security Information and Event Management (SIEM) tools including; Splunk ES to analyze relevant security events and alerts.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.