Human-Centered System Designer III
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
The Enterprise and Information Systems Engineering Section provides information-oriented cross-cutting engineering processes, tools, and services across the Engineering and Science Directorate (ESD) and the Office of Safety and Mission Success (OSMS). The Section primarily engages in the production, exchange, management, and protection of data, information, and knowledge throughout the entire engineering development lifecycle.
We seek a self-motivated individual who can work well both independently and in a team environment to serve as a Human Centered User Experience Researcher/Designer Level 3. Reporting functionally to the Human Systems Integration Group Supervisor and programmatically to the Systems and Software Environments Computer Aided Engineering (SSwE CAE) task lead. The group provides an integrated environment of tools for software and systems development. (For e.g. the software environment is a turnkey platform that projects and software developers can use to design, develop, version and configuration manage, test with continuous integration, release, package, and deploy software).
As a Human Centered User Experience Researcher/Designer Level 3 you will refine the user experience of the software and systems tool environments being used by engineers and scientists across the laboratory. You would need to be user-focused, react well to change, can work independently or with teams and is able to multi-task on multiple products and projects. A passion or curiosity for space is also a huge plus.
In addition, the candidate will collaborate with the SSwE CAE team including other designers, software developers, systems engineers, and leadership on:
- Requirements discovery, refinement and validation through the identification and evaluation of new and existing use cases
- Prototyping and design of interfaces, interactions, and patterns for SSwE CAE tools
- Conducting user research on existing tools, workflows, behaviors, features and needs analysis
- Identification of gaps in user needs and development opportunities
- Helping the team prioritize and define the development roadmap
- Communication of user research results to partners and fellow designer/researchers in a consistent and clear manner
- Design, prototyping, validation and refinement of identified solutions
Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Psychology, Computer Science, or related discipline with a minimum of 6 years of relevant experience; Master's degree in a related discipline with a minimum of 4 years of relevant experience with 4 years; PhD in a related discipline with a minimum of 2 years of relevant experience. Education may be substituted with significant industry experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of Human-Centered Design research methods for enterprise tools, enterprise design standard methodologies
- A portfolio of design projects showing a strong human-centered approach and based on research
- Experience organizing and moderating both individual research sessions and group research
- Have a strong grasp of research methods and data analysis, both quantitative and qualitative
- Excellent organizational, communication, interpersonal and collaboration skills
- Storyboarding, wireframing, mockup and prototyping skills
- Understanding of Agile Scrum practices and philosophies
- Experience with enterprise class software and systems development lifecycle tools such as Git, Jenkins, Artifactory, Docker, Jupyter, Cameo Systems Modeler
- Experience with Open Model-Based Engineering Environment (MBEE)
- Familiarity with Web 2.0 technologies and approaches including microservices, REST, CSS, HTML
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.