Industrial Engineer II
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
Do you excel in an environment that values exploration and discovery? We have a universe of opportunities waiting for you!
This unique opportunity is part of the Mechanical Systems Engineering, Fabrication and Test Division which engages in research, technology development, and the creation of advanced mechanical, thermal, propulsion, and electronic packaging systems with expertise that spans the full breath of mechanical disciplines and is applied from architectural concept development through operations.
As the Industrial Engineer of the Industrial Engineering for Fabrication group 357K, you will be working for JPL's Mechanical Fabrication and Test Section which maintains technical support facilities and resources that provide the services required to fabricate, assemble, and test electro-mechanical developmental and flight hardware. This Section develops and matures equipment and technologies, which enable and enhance our fabrication and environmental test capability for current and future missions.
Some Challenges You Will Tackle:
- Support Flight Development Technician Services and Thermal Applications & Mechanisms Group.
- Synthesize customer needs and requirements into system test solutions that acknowledge technical, schedule, and cost constraints.
- Provide monthly and intermittent reporting on various team performance metrics from database activity.
- Write requirements for developers and develop when needed.
- Use of the various Oracle Discrete Manufacturing modules to develop the implementation plan for work, estimating work in process, scheduling resources.
- Establish and maintain interfaces with multiple JPL customers.
- Partners with other engineers in resolving complex system integration and testing tasks
- Partners with other engineers in anomaly resolution of varied and complex issues
- Presents analysis to other engineers, project personnel and management at project reviews
- Analysis of situation or data requires identification, review and interpretation of complex factors as well as decisions as to policies, procedures and practices.
- Regular use of creativity and innovation to address important issues.
- Coordinate with internal customers and technicians to obtain test and setup requirements.
- Attend and contribute to software system test readiness reviews.
- Serving as a liaison between IT and end users
- Develop block diagrams for current and replacement equipment, develop/review upgrade proposals, and suggest the next action/direction for keeping the facility ready for testing and meeting future needs.
You Must Have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, Industrial Engineering or related technical discipline with a minimum of 3 years related experience or Master’s degree in a similar discipline with 1 year of related experience or PhD with 0 years of related experience.
- Vast understanding in Manufacturing Resource Planning (MRP2) and Supply Chain
- Experience with flow management including implementing tracking tools such as SharePoint, Smartsheet, Trello, Jira, Kanban and others.
- Experience identifying process issues, recommending solutions and documenting bugs
- Must be detail oriented with a systems thinking mindset
- Must be able to work independently and deal with ambiguity (i.e. able to generate solutions without always being asked)
- Must be proficient in Excel utilizing Power Query, Power Pivot, VBA
- Excellent communication and documentation skills
- Exercises discretion and independent judgment in evaluating potential approaches and solutions to significant problems and determining appropriate resolutions.
- Some Knowledge of implementation, fabrication and testing of flight hardware.
Got These? Even Better
- Mature writing skills to document current processes, develop presentations, and create detailed procedures.
- Business intelligence experience or proven ability to interpret data with respect to larger business need
- Ability to effectively interface with multiple levels of management, operations personnel and technical experts
- Ability to learn new types of mechanical systems operations
- Some programming experience utilizing software such as Python, .NET etc.
- Team player with excellent communication and presentation skills
- Knowledge of implementation, fabrication and testing of flight hardware
- Proficient in SharePoint
- Knowledge of applicable Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations
- Extensive knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.