Deputy Manager of Information Technology Special Programs
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
The Office of Information Technology (IT) Special Programs provides overall IT service delivery to JPL’s National Security Program Office. This exciting fast-paced and specialized IT environment is an enabler for National Security work performed at JPL.
The Deputy Manager, IT Special Programs will be a key member of senior leadership team in the Information & Technology Services Directorate (ITSD), and will have responsibility for management of the implementation and delivery of a portfolio of IT services in support of the National Security work at JPL. This individual will have oversight of architectural definition, sustaining and enhancement activities, staffing, budgeting, compliance, as well as recommending and implementing changes to methods, practices, and IT policies. This individual will partner with other members of the ITSD leadership team in informing and executing the ITSD vision and achieving laboratory goals.
The IT Special Programs Deputy Manager will help lead a team of IT professionals, guiding, directing and motivating the team to ensure execution of all deliverables. Equally important will be the responsibility to mentor and develop the team as they strive to achieve individual and team goals.
- Serve as the deputy IT Manager tasked with management of the IT infrastructure including service delivery, customer service, IT operations and maintenance, networking, data center, storage, hosting, load balancing, performance optimization, application development, deployments and security compliance.
- Assist leading a team of 25+ multidisciplinary IT specialists in execution of program requirements and in meeting all performance targets.
- Plan, organize, secure and manage resources to bring about the successful completion of specific program goals and objectives.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to develop processes to provide the highest level of IT customer service, ensure customer satisfaction and continually improve IT service delivery.
- Ensures appropriate actions are executed for incident management, problem management, asset control, and configuration management.
- Ensure cyber-security compliance with federal cyber security policies and procedures.
- Develop and communicate operational status reports, performance analysis, and ad hoc reporting requirements for internal and external customers.
- Lead the team in analyzing and solving issues that can impact schedule and performance.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline with a minimum of 9 years of related experience, or Master’s Degree with a minimum of 7 years of related experience, or PhD with a minimum of 5 years of related experience.
- Proven ability as a visionary leader; strong leadership and proficiency in decision-making and delegation, change management, service delivery management, financial/cost management, and tactical and strategic leadership.
- Demonstrate consistent, sound, independent decision-making and an aptitude for producing thorough, accurate, and clear documentation of business and IT requirements.
- Proactive team building and team motivating skills and ability to develop, mentor and coach high performance individual contributors and teams.
- Proven experience successfully leading enterprise level IT initiatives.
- 2+ years experience leading IT/Engineering teams preferably in a TS/SCI environment focused on IT Operations
- Experience leading and supervising a multi-disciplinary staff of various labor categories and skills.
- A wide range of knowledge across IT domains, including networking, storage, cloud, data center hosting, disaster recovery, and cyber security.
- Expert knowledge of national security policies/compliance and audit requirements as well as extensive experience with related technologies to ensure compliance .
- Demonstrated ability to consistently produce excellent results in a complex environment.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate successfully with internal and external stakeholders and develop and maintain cross functional relationships across all levels.
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing diverse teams to accomplish IT operational goals.
- Experience in labor and material cost estimating, and budget management.
- Excellent customer service capability and communication skills; experience interacting with executive customers
- Expert knowledge in IT development tools and computer programming languages.
- Ability to build strategic relationships with strategic partners in the National Security, commercial, academic, and FFRDC (Federally Funded Research and Development Center) communities.
- Availability to work non-standard hours; early/after hours; nights, weekends as needed.
- Available to work both off-site and on-site, in a team environment of internal and external coworkers .
- In-scope Top Secret clearance w/ability to be SCI briefed.
- Current Counter-Intelligence (CI) Poly highly desired & willing to submit to a CI Poly.
- DoD 8140 certification - minimum IAT II or IAM I (examples: Security+, CISSP)
- ITIL Foundation or similar enterprise architecture experience
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.