Business Analyst 1
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
The Instruments Division is seeking a motivated Business Analyst to support Section and Division Management in the areas of financial analysis, analytics and reporting, workforce planning, and ad hoc assignments. The position will collaborate with Section and Division Management to assist in the implementation of the Section's goals and objectives, and report to the Business Administration Manager,
The ideal candidate will possess a strong ability to collaborate, team player philosophy, knowledge of applicable Laboratory policies and procedures, as well as excellent teaming and communication skills, professionalism, a strong work ethic, a process improvement mindset, and the ability to provide excellent customer service.
As a member of the Instrument Systems Implementation and Concepts Business Administration Team, you will support Section and Division Management in all aspects of business analytics and general administrative duties, including:
- Assisting the Business Administration Manager with the management of the Sections financial portfolio
- Developing baseline budgets, preparing and distributing weekly, monthly, and/or quarterly obligation and cost analysis and variance reports to managers, technical staff, CAMs and others as needed
- Conducting complex financial analysis support to the Section and Division’s technical staff and management
- Recommending budgetary priorities and/or corrective actions and develop baseline budgets
- Collaborating with technical staff on workforce forecast analysis and reports
- Overseeing and coordinating the monthly and quarterly reporting of financials and workforce
- Develop automated reports and business metrics using Oracle Business Intelligence Enterprise Edition (OBIEE) and Power BI
- Perform ad hoc duties as assigned
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Information Systems, Finance, Business Administration or related discipline with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; or a Master’s degree in similar disciplines
- Experience in data modeling, analytics and query.
- Knowledge in one or more of the following areas: budgeting, financial analysis, reporting, and workforce planning.
- Ability to present complex findings in a clear, concise manner using graphics, tables and high level summarization – both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use tact and discretion when working with sensitive and confidential data.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, etc.).
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to resolve complex issues independently.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, prioritize, multi-task and complete assignments with minimal supervision.
- Excellent customer service, organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated experience with reporting tools such as, but not limited to, OBIEE, Data Extractor, Discoverer, IBT, PEG, Power BI.
- Understanding of NASA policies and procedures relating to funding and cost practices
- Familiarity with JPL proposal activities and processes
- SQL, Java Script Fluency
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.