Full Stack Web Developer
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
NASA’s Mars Public Engagement team is seeking an experienced developer to help build engaging websites that allow the public to learn and participate in the exploration of Mars. Join a collaborative team to help bring the adventures of Mars exploration down to the ground and into the hands of the public, educators, students and the public. Help inspire the millions of people who visit our sites each year.
Reports to the Manager for Mars Public Engagement to develop and maintain the mars.nasa.gov website domain and other mission websites. You will oversee production and development of new sites, schedule, while working with internal and external partners.
- Works on both back- and front-end programming on various projects.
- Develops websites and builds new visualization tools for transforming domain-specific science data into visual representations.
- Evaluate, select and implement new content management tools.
- Works with other developers and engineers to implement improvements and maintain web interactive applications and content management systems.
- Conducts user interviews, science data characterization, contextual inquiry, and storyboarding to inform understanding of user needs or to conduct iterative evaluation.
- Designs, implements, and iterates wireframes and flowcharts.
- Collaborates with others and collects website requirements.
- Develops complex test plans and analyzes results to come up with a solution.
- Designs and implements REST APIs and database solutions supporting a wide range of applications.
- Participates in group brainstorming sessions to storyboard ideas and help produce web interfaces, visualize data and create web solutions. Works with teams to design, implement and iterate wireframes and flowcharts.
- Has extensive knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards.
- Works independently on important assignments and projects with only limited supervision, typically receiving only general instructions.
- Uses applicable policies, procedures and practices as guides to determine work methods and deliver results.
- Responsible for approving others’ work and ensuring compliance with requirements on significant projects and assignments.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, or related discipline with a minimum of 3 years of related experience; or Master's degree with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; or a PhD with a 0 years of related experience.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas: SQL, Python, Node, ColdFusion, PHP, Ruby.
- Experience building responsive websites and front-end frameworks such as React, AngularJS, Vue or Wagtail.
- Extensive understanding and knowledge of all phases of the software development lifecycle: requirements analysis, technical design, implementation, code review, testing, release and maintenance.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with individuals and teams across a large organization including internal and external customers.
- Experience in building innovative, responsive design for desktops, tablets and phones.
- Understanding of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 and Section 508.
- UI/UX design.
- Experience with photoshop.
- Familiar with Amazon Web Services
- Familiar with Google Analytics/statistics.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.