Networking and Cybersecurity Section Manager
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
This Section Manager opportunity is responsible for Network, Cybersecurity and Identity solutions for the Information Technology Solutions Directorate. You will provide strategic line and program leadership for the entire range of the section’s management functions, including, but not limited to, technical, workforce and talent management, professional development, resource management, cost, quality, schedule, and technical commitments. This position will report to the Division Manager of Operations, Network, and Cybersecurity.
Section Manager responsibilities will include:
- Develop and sustain the Laboratory’s new and existing Networking, Cybersecurity and Identity systems and solutions.
- Provide oversight and direction for the section by defining and promoting the vision for enterprise-class Network, Cybersecurity and Identity systems and solutions at JPL.
- Actively participate in internal enterprise architectural and customer advisory boards, partnering with ITSD management, Subcontract Technical Manager(s) (STMs) and subcontractor service providers.
- Actively participate in external enterprise architectural and customer advisory boards. This will include actively participating with NASA, FFRDCs and other industry leaders in these domains.
- Coordinate the interconnection of JPL infrastructure systems and services with NASA Headquarters, NASA Centers other Partners, and is the network liaison for JPL’s ITSD to NASA.
- Contribute to the ITSD Strategic Plan via the identification of, planning for, and communication of long-range multi-year efforts at the office and section level after consultation with, and requirements gathered, from ITSD and laboratory management.
- Overall integration of processes, methods, activities, and product/service delivery within the Section, across Division and ITSD and to the Laboratory and partners with an emphasis on continuous improvement.
- Lead or participate on ad hoc tasks as necessary.
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree or higher in Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, or related discipline with a minimum of 4 years of supervisory and/or management experience.
- Multidisciplinary knowledge in IT with significant expertise in one or more related fields within the following areas: Systems Engineering, IT Security, Architecture, Computer Networking, Identity Solutions.
- Expert knowledge of industry and/or academic practices, standards and industry best practices across a range of applications related to Networking.
- Significant expertise in Cybersecurity and Identity.
- Strong leadership and proficiency in decision-making and delegation, change management, product-line management, financial/cost management and strategic leadership.
- Experience providing management, direction and expertise to activities of a functional or multifunctional organization through managers and/or staff positions that have responsibility for results including costs, methods and/or staffing.
- Ability to grow and maintain effective working relations with other organizations and partners, including the ability to interface productively with all levels of management (JPL level-2 and level-3 managers, NASA CIO officials, JPL flight projects, auditors, FFRDCs and external organizations).
- Strong record of success with budgeting, meeting schedule and cost commitments, contracts management, staffing and process development.
- Knowledge of and experience with interacting and negotiating with contractors.
- Ability to effectively drive results through an extensive use of multi-sourced workforce (including a heavily contractor-based workforce).
- Technical line and project/program experience with proven abilities in motivating teams, entrepreneurial thinking and personnel mentoring.
- Experience with architecting, implementing and sustaining software defined networks.
- Strong familiarity with JPL IT and flight project requirements.
- Ability to obtain TS/SCI clearance.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.