Senior Financial Analyst
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We are seeking an analytical and strategically minded individual that can work well, both independently and in a team environment, to serve as a Financial Analyst IV in our Financial Planning and Analysis Group (FPA). This unique opportunity is part of the Controller and Financial Planning Office, which supports the exploration and innovation of the laboratory’s missions by working with our colleagues and subcontractors to guarantee compliance to the Prime Contract and maintain the integrity of JPL’s financials. The Division’s functions encompass Institutional Accounting, Travel and Invoice Management, Financial Planning, Analysis & Compliance, and the CFP Strategic Planning Office. The Division ensures that the finance and accounting policy and procedures of the laboratory are efficient, effective and compliant with relevant regulations so that the JPL can "Dare Mighty Things". We pride ourselves on providing innovative solutions to overcome business challenges facing the JPL on a regular basis. Our collaborative teaming approach ensures us a unique window into the amazing work being accomplished at JPL.
As a Financial Analyst IV, you will conduct independent, complex analysis of historical and forecast data to provide reports that will assist executive management in strategic fiscal decision-making.
Some Challenges You Will Tackle:
- Support prudent financial management through data analysis, interpretation, reporting, and modeling. Prepare pro formas based on historical, comparative, and projection data.
- Identify, analyze and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets with a high degree of accuracy.
- Drive continuous improvement on forecasting future business profile scenarios and associated workforce requirements.
- Develop, analyze and report on the Laboratory burden budget, cost rates and factors, and their impacts to project costs.
- Independently prepare and deliver recommendations and presentation deliverables for the CFO and Governing Management Council Chairs.
- Be a trusted advisor to internal JPL customers as well as mentor and coach lower level team members.
- A positive attitude and aptitude for learning new technology.
- You will also be expected to be an advocate for the Controller and Financial Planning Office’s Strategic Plan and to stay up-to-date on industry best practices and apply those practices where applicable.
- Coordinate annual operating budgets for the Company and document key underlying assumptions.
- Ability to be a change agent in instituting best practices to drive operational performance and effectiveness across the group.
You Must Have:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline, with a minimum of 9 years of related experience; Master's degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 7 years of related experience; or a PHD in similar discipline with a minimum of 5 years of related experience.
- Expert understanding and wide application in advanced principles, theories, and concepts of financial planning, business/organizational analysis, budgeting, accounting, information technology, and business processes.
- Demonstrated expert knowledge of developing and analyzing indirect cost rates and factors.
- Demonstrated ability to independently generate and conduct effective executive level briefings on complex financial topics.
Got These? Even Better:
- Demonstrated skills in leading multi-functional team(s) for a project, activity, or function, within scope of assigned responsibility.
- Ability to identify opportunities to where creative and innovative solutions can be developed and implemented.
- Demonstrated ability to leverage new media literacy for efficient and persuasive communication.
- Possess strong presentation skills and a working knowledge with supporting visual aids.
- Demonstrated ability to be adaptable, flexible, and resilient.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.