Oracle Architect and Platform Engineer
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
The Digital Exchange Architecture (DEA) team supports and operates the Enterprise IT Infrastructure that is provided by the suite of applications within the Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) organization. The DEA team is seeking an experienced Oracle Architect and Platform Engineer. This will be an opportunity to apply your technical, communication and leadership skills and partner with other experts to design, implement and operate advanced web technologies to lead and shape the architecture of complex tools used by JPL. You will be responsible for:
- Maintenance and enforcement of development processes and standards.
- Utilizing extensive Enterprise expertise to understand the needs of the customer, translates needs into requirements, develops prototype applications, iterates with customers and then delivers quality applications.
- Technical quality of deliverables – products, procedures, documentation.
- Analysis and approval of detailed design of architecture.
- Development of new algorithms and models and/or modify existing ones.
- Identification of technical risks and recommendation of responses to those risks.
- Development or approval of responses to customer identified issues.
- Providing feedback and input at technical review meetings.
- Determination of contents and prioritization of development tasks for each delivery.
- Typically requires Bachelor's degree in relevant discipline with a minimum of 9 years of experience; or Master's degree in relevant discipline with 7 years of experience; or Doctorate in relevant discipline with 5 years of experience. (Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Systems Engineering, or relevant discipline).
- Demonstrated strong strategic thinking skills, and ability to see and convey the big picture.
- Experience architecting large highly performant applications on distributed system environments
- Strong critical thinking and synthesis; ability to deal with ambiguity and adapt to a fast-paced, customer-focused operation.
- Consistent track record for delivering successful software systems applying standard methodologies.
- Excellent listening and communications.
- Advanced knowledge of applicable Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations.
- Experience in Oracle Cloud and Amazon cloud.
- Proficient with Administration on VMware.
- Experience with virtualization environments such as Exalogic, Exadata, VMware.
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes environments.
- Ability to architect the virtual Infrastructure design. understanding of compute, network and storage components integration and segmentation to ensure reliability, security and performance.
- Proficiency in Private Cloud Appliance (PCA) system administration including provisioning compute nodes, managing network clouds and tenant groups as well as PCA upgrades.
- Ability to provision, configure and support Oracle VM infrastructure components such as OVS, OVM Manager, Virtual Machines, Virtual Networks and Virtual Storage
- Proficiency in Linux and Windows System Administration
- Extensive Knowledge with Oracle Hardware stack including Oracle X8-2, X7-2, X6-2 and X5-2 servers, ZS7-2, ZS5-2 and ZS3-2 ZFS appliance, DE3-24P, DE3-24H disk shelves, Oracle ES1-24 Ethernet Switch, Oracle NM2-36P Infiniband Switch, Oracle Fabric Interconnect F1-15 switch, Juniper QFX 5100 series switches, Qlogic RAID controllers, Oracle ILOM, SAS, Infiniband and Ethernet cable management.
- Strong understanding of Operating Systems statistics and performance measuring tools such as top, vmstat, iostat, qperf, nfsstat and netstat to identify performance bottlenecks. Ability to tune kernel and hypervisor (Xen, KVM) parameters to achieve maximum performance.
- Understanding of BigIP F5 architecture and functionality including LTM VIPs, iRules, monitors, pools and profiles.
- Understanding and management of network bonds and load balancing protocols.
- Understanding of SAN protocols including Fiber Channel and iSCSI.
- Understanding of network services such as LDAP, Kerberos, Active Directory, SMTP, DNS and NTP
Language, protocols, and standards:
- Configuration Management tools such as SaltStack and Ansible
- Shell programming skills (bash, ksh, sh, tcsh, csh)
- Python programming knowledge
- TCP/IP, GRE, Infiniband, EoIB, IPoIB, UDP, SNA/RJE, SSH, FTP, HTTP, TLS/SSL, FIX, SOAP, SNMP, LDAP, SCSI, Fibre Channel, RADIUS, HLS, HDS, Smooth Streaming, MPEG-Dash, RTP/RTSP, RTMP. ITIL, TOGAF
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.