Data Scientist II
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Data Scientist to join our team that makes up JPL’s Artificial Intelligence (AI), Analytics and Innovative Development Division in the Information Technology and Solutions Directorate (ITSD). You will have the opportunity to contribute by conceptualizing and developing innovative applications for cross cutting areas of the laboratory including Internet of Things (IoT), cloud computing, next generation flight hardware, intelligent digital assistants, multi-mission systems, and artificial intelligence.
What You Will Do:
- Design and implement a program for analyzing complex, large-scale data sets used for modeling, data mining, research, and predictive analysis purposes. This will include creativity, tenacity, curiosity, and deep technical skills.
- Perform data gathering and data “munging”, visualization, machine learning, and computer programming to make data driven decisions and data driven products.
- Give exciting presentations where the data paints a compelling future.
- Work with several JPL missions and institutional projects to enable them to fully benefit from cloud computing, analytics, cyber security, and more.
- Use excellent interpersonal skills, professionalism and self-awareness. The ability to collaborate and communicate comfortably with all levels of staff and management is a must.
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Science, Computer Science, Information Systems or related discipline with 3 year of related experience; Masters degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 1 years of related experience
- Knowledge in one or more related fields including: Big Data, cloud computing, statistics, analytics, machine learning, deep learning, programming, data bases (SQL and NoSQL), data integration, Internet of Things (IoT) and communications.
- General understanding and wide application of advanced principles, theories, concepts, tools, and techniques in integrating, analyzing, and designing and reporting on large and diverse data sets; data mining; analytics, and statistics.
- Knowledge and experience with developing Internet of Things and sensor network applications (IoT)
- The ability to create new prototypes with the creativity and thoroughness to ask and answer the deepest questions about the data and what secrets it holds.
- Experience taking a high-level problem and building a new end-to-end solution to solve that problem through Internet of Things technologies
- Comfort working in Linux & Ubuntu
- Proficiency in Cloud Computing such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, Google App Engine, or others.
- Experience building real-time data pipelines, as well as historical / analytical data lakes
- Experience with Continuous Integration / Continuous Deployment (CI/CD) pipelines and test-driven development
- Experience deploying, updating, and managing fleets of devices
- Ability to think creatively and to work well both as part of a team and as an individual contributorExperience working as a designer and fleshing out from early product requirements to delivery of products in Information Technology.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries or those born in a designated country unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available here.