Lead Hardware Integration and Test Engineer
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Are you passionate about evaluating potential approaches and solutions to new and unusual problems? Are your Assembly Systems Integration & Test skills broad and deep? Do you thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment? We invite you to become a member of the Instrument Systems Implementation and Concepts section and be part of a group that is team based, and improvement-oriented.
Our team is responsible for the development of Instruments from project inception to spacecraft integration. This is a great opportunity to lead the assembly and integration of cutting edge Optical Instruments. You will be responsible for the following:
- Manage critical hardware integration and delivery effort
- Provide technical direction, periodic reporting, and day-to-day oversight of Assembly Integration and Test (AIT) development, fabrication, and execution.
- Prepare, review, lead, and track assembly, integration and test procedures and operations.
- Review and track all support test equipment, including Mechanical Ground Support Equipment (MGSE), Electrical Ground Support Equipment (EGSE), and Optical Ground Support Equipment (OGSE) assemblies.
- Manage Integration Facilities and Environmental Testing Reservations
- Report to the Advanced Segment Testbed (AST) CAM/Cognizant Engineer to deliver the required product.
- Work in a cleanroom environment
- Attend weekly team meetings and monthly reviews as required
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical, Optomechanical Engineering or related technical discipline with typically a minimum of 6 years related experience; or Master’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 4 years related experience.
- Experience for large-scale assembly and testing operations in a cleanroom.
- Relevant experience handling and delivering critical flight hardware.
- Demonstrated ability to anticipate and mitigate problems, seek technical experts and solutions outside the immediate team, rigorously tracking hardware development and milestones.
- Ability to collaborate across internal and external organizations, diverse technical disciplines, and management levels. Good communications and tracking skills.
- Must be a U.S Citizen with an active Top Secret clearance based upon Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) within a 5‐year scope and be approved for Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) access.
- Experience with large optics and electro-mechanical assemblies.
- Experience in production flow builds and streamlined assembly line processing.
- Strong experience as a project engineer with demonstrated ability to push a product through development and delivery of a complex system with agreed upon schedule.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109