Financial Analyst III
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) is a world leader in robotic space exploration. Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a casual, campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We are seeking a motivated and analytical individual that can work well, both independently and in a team environment, to serve as a Financial Analyst III in our Financial Planning & Analysis Group (FPA). This unique opportunity is part of the Financial Management Division, which supports the exploration and innovation of the laboratory's missions by working with our colleagues and subcontractors to guarantee compliance to the prime contract and maintain the integrity of JPL's financials. The Division's functions encompass Institutional Accounting, Travel and Invoice Management, Financial Planning, Analysis & Compliance, and the Strategic Planning & Innovation Office. The Division ensures that the finance and accounting policy and procedures of the laboratory are efficient, effective and compliant with relevant regulations so that JPL can "Dare Mighty Things". We pride ourselves on providing innovative solutions to overcome business challenges facing JPL on a regular basis. Our collaborative teaming approach ensures us a unique window into the amazing work being accomplished at JPL.
As a Financial Analyst III, you will conduct timely and relevant analysis of historical and forecast data, to provide reports that will assist senior management in strategic fiscal decision-making.
Some Challenges You Will Tackle:
- Prepare forecasts and annual operating plans.
- Analyze, assess and report on performance against business forecasts.
- Develop, monitor and report on burden cost rates and factors.
- Conduct burden rate analysis and impacts to project costs.
- Employ advanced methods for complex financial modeling and "what-if" analysis that provide decision making information within given scenarios.
- Provide in-depth institutional insight and strategic input on complex financial issues to senior management.
- Design and develop complex financial reports that require selection, preparation and interpretation of data, using sophisticated query tools across multiple data sources.
- Exercise discretion and judgment in evaluating potential approaches and solutions to significant challenges.
- Participate on multi-functional and/or multi-discipline team(s) within the scope of assigned responsibility.
- Mentor and coach lower level team members.
- Be a trusted advisor to internal JPL customers.
- Be an Advocate for the Financial Management Division's Strategic Plan.
- Stay up-to-date on industry best practices and apply those practices where applicable.
- Perform special assignments as directed.
You Must Have:
- A Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, Statistics, Economics, Data Science, or Business Management, or related discipline, with a minimum of 6 years related experience; or a Master's degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 4 years of related experience.
- Extensive understanding and wide application of advanced principles, theories, and concepts of financial planning, business/organizational analysis, accounting, information technology, and business processes.
- Demonstrated expert knowledge of developing indirect rates and factors.
- Demonstrated ability to generate and conduct effective high level executive briefings on complex financial topics.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with all levels of management.
- Has wide-ranging experience and advanced expertise in one or more related fields of knowledge: Cost Accounting Standards (CAS) and the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR).
- Ability to apply appropriate judgment and make sound recommendations and decisions.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet commitments, including deadlines and budgets.
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate and/or work in a team environment.
- Excellent communication, organization, and customer service skills.
- Ability to handle sensitive information.
Got These? Even Better:
- Demonstrated skills in leading a multi-functional team for a project, activity, or function, within scope of assigned responsibility.
- Ability to develop creative and innovative solutions.
- Ability to leverage new media literacy for efficient and persuasive communication.
- Possess strong presentation skills and a working knowledge with supporting visual aids.
- Knowledge of Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations across a range of applications including the NASA FAR Supplement.
- Demonstrated ability to be adaptable, flexible, and resilient.
- Excellent critical analysis, complex problem solving and strategic planning skills.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109