Cybersecurity Engineer IV
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Are you ready to protect us from alien cyber attackers? Be a key member of our groundbreaking Cyber Defense Engineering and Research team. If your passionate about securing the future of space in our fast-growing and evolving niche of cyber security and information assurance then you are ready for our challenge. You will use your divergent skills to find solutions for the universes most complex problems, with a mission to keep space missions and related critical infrastructure safe from cyber-based adversaries. If these challenges sound exciting to you, the Jet Propulsion Lab could be where you build your legacy.
JPL’s Cyber Defense Engineering and Research Group leads the laboratory’s efforts in mission cyber defense research and development through:
- Providing mentoring, leadership, and direction of cyber defense strategies for flight programs and projects; developing new cyber defense test and validation methodologies.
- Advancing the state-of-the-art in intrusion detection, diagnosis, and remediation for cyber and cyber-physical systems.
- Engaging in collaborations with the cyber systems security research community which includes other government agencies, academia and industry.
- Implementing reimbursable tasks with DoE, DoD, intelligence community, and commercial customers designed to improve space systems cyber security defenses.
As a leader on our Cyber Defense team, you will contribute to building a capability that will make an impact across our Institution and NASA.
- You will work on our Flight Project focused Cyber Security Improvement Project (CSIP) supporting attack detection, risk assessments, cyber-focused V&V, Cyber Defense Lab testbed, and cyber-focused risk communication and coordination.
- Lead and oversee cyber security design, architecture, requirements, security-related development, protection plans, risk assessments, implementation, situational awareness, and coordination on Flight Projects conducting science from Earth orbit and deep space.
- Is a recognized subject matter expert and go to customer point of contact in the cyber defense field, developing solutions that protect and retain high production levels of science while also implementing complex security requirements in response to threats into designs and processes.
- Provide subject matter expertise related to security architecture, requirements, design, detection, remediation, and technology development on external critical infrastructure tasks of national significance.
- Develop cyber-focused system requirements from customer guidance and input via discussion and use case reviews, best practice guides, NIST publications.
- Leads the development of highly complex designs by applying cyber-focused engineering practices to the flight project architecture, covering flight and ground, influencing the design of systems and software to better detect, diagnose and remediate anomalies.
- Leads the design, development, and validation of cyber security software solutions based on requirements.
- You will conduct analysis of existing code, processes, and operating systems, to identify weaknesses, validate weaknesses identified, design mitigations, and validate mitigation effectiveness.
- Perform highly complex software system verification and validation.
- Apply advanced knowledge in the field, documenting design decisions and approaches for implementation.
- Resolve highly complex multidisciplinary technical issues related to cyber security.
- Successful candidates typically have a degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Mathematics. Bachelors with 9 years of related experience, Masters with 7 years of related experience, PhD with 5 years of related experience.
- Knowledge of cyber security principles (authentication, authorization, encryption, non-repudiation, etc.).
- Proven recent experience using scripting languages.
- Experience using and supporting Linux-based operating systems as a software development environment.
- Experience with designing, configuring, and secure operational use of on premises and cloud services such as Amazon S3, EC2, etc.
- Using visualization tools to portray complex data and relationships.
- Recent experience leading cyber-focused verification and validation plan (planning, test development, execution, follow-up, and customer reporting).
- Knowledge of secure coding practices.
- Experience using team-based software development practices (software CM, unit test frameworks, bug tracking, continuous integration, etc.).
- Experience leading risk assessments for distributed, complex systems.
- Recent experience working in research and development environment.
- TCP/IP networking principles and protocols.
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux operating system.
- Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP).
- Recent experience with cyber security implementations utilizing virtualization technologies (virtual machines, containers, applications)
- Familiar with NIST Special Publications (SP) 800 series and Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS).
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109