Chemistry Part-time Internship
Do you excel in an environment that values exploration and discovery? We have a universe of opportunities waiting for you!
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) is NASA’s lead center for robotic exploration of the solar system. Our core competency is the end-to-end implementation of unprecedented robotic space missions to study Earth, the Solar System, and the Universe.
JPL, located in Pasadena, California, has a casual, campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We are proud to be part of NASA and Caltech, as we explore the universe and make history through new discoveries.
We aim to do things never done before and to go places few can go. We dare mighty things…do you?
As a member of the 353E Analytical Chemistry & Materials Development group, the person in this position will assist in the following:
- Assist in daily chemistry lab activities
- Maintain lab cleanliness
- Sample intake, organization and preparation for analysis
- Assist with shipping and receiving including contacting outside vendors for analysis
- Maintain and track chemical and lab supply inventory
- Assist with p-card and procurement orders process
Possible flight project support includes Mars 2020, Europa, and OCO-3.
- Pursuing an undergraduate degree program at a 4-year local accredited college or university pursuing a Bachelor's or Graduate degree in Chemistry, Biology, Materials Science or related technical discipline
- Must have a minimum 3.0 out of a 4.0 cumulative GPA (or equivalent)
- Be available to work minimum of 12 hours on a weekly basis over the period of performance
- Must be at least half-time in school (except for summer)
- General knowledge of applicable industry and/or academic practices and standards in chemistry
- Experience working in a chemistry lab environment (during school/college)
- Coursework providing an understanding and application of standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in chemistry
- Experience with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent problem skills, teamwork, and written/oral communications skills
- Good verbal and written communications skills with demonstrated ability to work in a team environment
- Demonstrated leadership abilities
- Experience working with chemicals
- Experience with basic microscopy techniques
- Experience with image editing software
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109