Embedded Software Engineer
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We are looking for a Flight Software Engineer level 3 to join our Front-End Control Group in the Communications Ground System Section. You will work with the Uplink development team for the Deep Space Network Uplink signal generator, transmitter controller and related embedded control software. You will be responsible for all aspects of the software development life cycle including software architecture, design, coding, documentation, training as well as interfacing with the operation engineering teams for troubleshooting and evaluation of on-site issues.
As a member of the Front-End Control Group, you will have multiple opportunities to work with other DSN controller application software including antenna pointing, servo control, microwave, facilities and other related controls application software.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or related technical discipline with typically a minimum of 6 years of related experience, a Master’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 4 years of related experience, or a Ph.D. in similar disciplines with a minimum of 2 years related experience.
- Highly proficient in C programming language with a minimum of 5 years of experience designing and coding controls software.
- Software engineering skill with strong system debugging and problem-solving skills
- Experience with Linux operating system
- Good verbal and written communication skill for end users issue analysis support
- Able to travel, foreign and domestic sites, for approximately 20-25%.
- Must be able to climb large structures (e.g. 70M Antenna at GDSCC)
- Knowledge of modern software development tools and practices ((GitHub, Eclipse, continuous integration, automated software testing, Agile methodology, DevOps, etc.)
- Knowledge of container and runtime orchestration frameworks (g. Docker, Kubernetes, Mesos, Elastic Container Service)
- Experience with Linux Kernel development
- Knowledge of Cloud technology and Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Knowledge of JPL Software Development Standard Practices
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109