Experienced Personnel Security Assistant
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
JPL has been a critical part of the space exploration business since the beginning, with an unmatched history of creating groundbreaking advances in science and technology. Designing, building, and testing new technologies requires the support and expertise of Security Professionals to protect the facilities, people, and information that make such breakthroughs possible.
In this position, you will be a member of the Protective Services Division Personnel Security Group and will report to the Personnel Security Group Supervisor. You are responsible for a variety of duties in support of security procedures and requirements, including processing security clearance paperwork; issuing employee and affiliate badges; processing restricted access authorizations; processing and maintaining confidential and classified materials, facilitating the day-to-day security activities, as well as long-range security requirements planning for specific mission project affiliates and visitors. May work in a secured environment.
As a member in the Personnel Security Group, you will experience challenges every day with both traditional and non-traditional security issues. The work is diverse, requires diplomatic and tactful communication skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to foster collaborative relationships, encourage teamwork and promote cooperation. If this environment interests you and you have a desire to protect Public Trust and/or National Security while helping JPL succeed in this arena, please apply.
- Typically requires a High School diploma with a minimum of 6 years of related experience; Associates degree with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; related required training.
- Solid understanding of general job aspects of industry and/or government badge procedures.
- Thorough understanding of MS Office computer skills including PowerPoint, Word and Excel and applies knowledge and skills in this area.
- Solid understanding of applicable policies, procedures, and practices in industry and/or government badge procedures (i.e. HSPD-12).
- Must have an ability to prioritize work assignments.
- Must be detailed oriented and a self-starter and able to recognize, challenge and help resolve inconsistent practices and improve processes and procedures.
- Must have a willingness to perform a variety of different tasks depending on operational needs.
- Must demonstrate a positive and professional attitude with excellent customer service skills and teamwork ability.
- Must be able to maintain a professional demeanor with all levels of the workforce including executive management, research, scientist and engineers, government/civil servants, contractors and foreign nationals.
- Must have flexibility to change work schedule from 9/80 to 5/40 or vice versa depending on operational needs.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen and have current active Secret level security clearance.
- Experience multitasking day-to-day assignments
- Knowledge of FIPS-201-2
- Working knowledge of Electronic Questionnaires for Investigations Processing (e-QIP) and the Defense Security Service – Joint Personnel Adjudication System (JPAS) that includes collateral and special compartmented information (SCI) clearances.
- Experience processing SF85, SF85P, and SF86 government forms to launch personnel background investigations.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109