Subcontracts Business Operations Part-Time Internship
Do you excel in an environment that values exploration and discovery? We have a universe of opportunities waiting for you!
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) is NASA’s lead center for robotic exploration of the solar system. Our core competency is the end-to-end implementation of unprecedented robotic space missions to study Earth, the Solar System, and the Universe.
JPL, located in Pasadena, California, has a casual, campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We are proud to be part of NASA and Caltech, as we explore the universe and make history through new discoveries.
We aim to do things never done before and to go places few can go. We dare mighty things…do you?
The JPL Acquisition Division has an exciting business part-time internship opportunity for an undergraduate studying Business Administration, or a related major, in our Commercial Subcontracts & Strategic Sourcing Section. This intern will have the opportunity to gain hands-on work experience in the application of subcontracts within Financial and Business Operations, to include issuing and managing active noncomplex and moderately complex subcontracts, purchase orders, and agreements; close-out of inactive subcontracts and agreements; providing support to the subcontract managers in the handling of complex, high-dollar subcontracts. Responsibilities include:
- Provide support to subcontract managers in developing and issuing solicitations for goods and services.
- Prepares documentation appropriate to the value of the subcontracts and necessary to satisfy internal audit and review requirements.
- Responsible for communication necessary to convey significant activities associated with the issuance of low dollar subcontracts internally and externally.
- Performs activities necessary to ensure the goods and services purchased are received in accordance with the price and delivery schedule and that closeout activities are handled promptly.
- Performs standard transactions that update the financial business process/systems based on departmental instructions.
- Works on day-to-day assignments under direct supervision; receives detailed instructions on new assignments.
- Uses applicable policies, procedures and practices as guides to determine work methods and deliver results.
- Seeks guidance in applying applicable policies, procedures and practices to new situations to determine appropriate action.
- Interacts primarily with immediate supervisor and team members within own organization.
- Participates on a team within own organization.
- Must be currently enrolled at least half-time at an accredited college or university pursuing a Bachelors degree in Business or related discipline.
- Must be able to work a minimum of 20 hours per week, with a maximum of 30 hours per week while in school.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Minimum GPA 3.0.
- Completed coursework with exposure to standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in business communications and database spreadsheets.
- Prior internship experience in related business areas.
- Ability to rapidly comprehend and apply subcontracting principles in high-volume environment
- Participation in student organizations.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint.
- Ability to interface with all levels of personnel and the ability to resolve multifaceted issues.
- Punctual, details oriented, resourceful and a self-motivated individual.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109