Flight Software Engineer level 4
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
As an Embedded Flight Software Engineer Level 4 for the Instrument Flight Software Group, you will be working for JPL’s Instrument Electronics and Software Section, which provides leadership and unique world-class expertise in the authoring, implementing, and testing Embedded Flight Software.
This position will provide a seasoned Embedded software engineer the opportunity to participate in the development of science to be flown on some of NASA’s most ambitious missions.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Working with Instrument Managers and cognizant engineers to generate software requirements and design of the flight software components that meet the product line and space/time partitioned criteria.
- Designing software modules that implement the functions of the flight system hardware/software interfaces, boot process, C&DH functions, System Fault Protection, and other subsystem applications (e.g., GNC, Power, Thermal, etc.) in both nominal and off-nominal scenarios.
This position typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, or related technical discipline with a minimum of 9 years of related experience; Master’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 7 years of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 5 years related experience.
- Strong C/C++ programming experience.
- Advanced knowledge of principles, theories, concepts and hands-on programming techniques in:
-Developing embedded real-time application programs utilizing RTOS
- Hands on experience in developing application programs using the ( SPARC LEON Processor, and RTEMS, VxWorks RTOS, and GNU tool chain)
- Communication buses and protocols: Space Wire, PCI/PCIe, 1553,UART, Ethernet
- Developing device driver and software/hardware interfaces for both custom and commercial hardware.
-Distributed computing and inter-process communication mechanisms in a space partitioned software architecture.
- In-depth development experience in the complete lifecycle of design, implementation, integration, and test of the flight software.
- Experience with Avionics subsystem and integrated flight hardware.
- Complete knowledge of industry and/or academic practices and standards (e.g., CMMI) across a range of applications related to flight software. development, test, and delivery for the avionics sub-systems.
- Strong verbal and written communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills with ability to work in a team environment.
- Developing, modifying, debugging, releasing and maintaining real-time embedded software systems for mission-critical, aerospace applications.
- amiliar with project development life cycle models, project milestone deliveries, and requirements.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109