New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
The Enterprise Business Information Services (EBIS) Division maintains stewardship over the ever-evolving Business IT portfolio of applications and systems required to support the Laboratory's robust and complex business processes. EBIS manages the full systems lifecycle across all major business processes, provides technical services and support, and strategically partners with the Laboratory's business community. Key organizational initiatives include a business intelligence program, data analytics, and adopting agile methodologies and tools.
Do you live to code? Love technical challenges? Would you like to play a part in developing and maintaining the business systems that support JPL’s amazing planetary, Earth science and space-based astronomy missions? The Payroll and Labor Accounting Information Services (PLAIS) office in EBIS is looking for technical talent to do just that.
This new team member will be responsible for front-end web development to support the Laboratory’s business processes, including payroll and labor accounting functions. This includes creating modules and components and coupling them into a functional application.
- Work with team members in EBIS, PLAIS, and key business partners throughout JPL to create, maintain, and enhance web applications used by JPL’s business community
- Team with other developers to design, develop, test, and implement APIs
- Collaborate with system analysts, developers, database administrators (DBAs) and system administrators (SAs) to troubleshoot and resolve production issues
- Ensure compliance with all IT information (including PII data) security practices and policies
- Use applicable policies, procedures and practices as guides to determine work methods and deliver results
- Work independently and with limited supervision on key assignments including projects and maintenance activities
- Contribute as a team member on teams inside or outside the organization
- Communicate effectively
- Maintain development skill sets via continuous education and learning
- Interact with functional users for third party applications and Oracle applications within JPL and Caltech
- Exercise discretion and independent judgment to develop and implement solutions to complex, multi-dimensional problems
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related discipline with at least 6 years of related experience or Master’s degree with 4 years of experience
- Experience in the full life-cycle development of front-end apps using Angular
- Knowledge of Angular application architecture and design
- Experience using Progressive Web Apps for offline use and a “native like” mobile device operation
- Proficient in Angular practices and commonly used modules
- Proficient in object-oriented programming
- Experience in creating self-contained, reusable and testable modules and components.
- Experience with automated testing tools such as Karma and Jasmine (unit testing), and Protractor (end-to-end/regression)
- Experience in supporting tooling – Git, GitHub, Continuous integration, Jenkins
- Experience in running applications in Docker environments
- Have a thorough understanding of the responsibilities of the platform, database, API, caching layer, proxies, and other web services used in the system
- Experience in validating user action on the client side and providing responsive feedback
- Experience in creating custom, general use modules and components, which extend the elements and modules of core Angular
- Able to quickly grasp new concepts, incorporate innovations and stay up to date with industry and business directions
- Ability to evaluate and analyze potential approaches and solutions to critical problems that fall within level of expertise
- 2+ years of experience developing Angular applications; preferably, business/forms based applications
- Have application documentation experience such as system level, modules and individual components. (Available for review prior to interview).
- Demonstrated implementation of best practices (SW Development and Angular framework)
- Experience in Java
- Knowledge of Oracle Database and development tools
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109