Systems Integration and Test Engineer I
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
This unique opportunity is part of the Autonomous Systems Division, which is responsible for technology development, advanced concepts, design, development, delivery, integration and test, verification and validation, and operation of Command and Data Handling (C&DH) Hardware, Flight Software, Power Systems, Robotic Systems, and Guidance and Control.
JPL’s Electronics Design Validation & Test Group plays an essential role in the Flight Electronics Section. As a Systems Integration and Test Engineer, you will work with test leads to design, integrate and execute test plans and procedures for specialized, mission-critical hardware and software systems used for avionics and flight system verification.
Our customers include flight software delivery managers, product delivery managers, system testbeds, verification and validation engineers, system integration and test and mission operations managers.
In this role, you will collaborate with our senior engineers supporting the PSYCHE mission.
This role is ideal for a candidate who can closely work with engineers in order to successfully meet the demands of flight-projects. The job entails understanding inherited test procedures and scripts, modifying and creating new test procedures and scripts, thoroughly testing EM and flight hardware functions and delivering systems to flight projects.
- Hardware/software and system level integration and test, including resolution of technical issues.
- Develop, test and execute plans that will meet the requirements of the validation effort.
- Develop test software and hardware under the direction of senior engineers.
- Document products within design documents and user manuals.
- Execute performance and regression testing using simulation and/or test equipment.
- Deploy test sets for other customer uses.
This position requires a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Computer Science, Aero/Astronautics or Mechanical Engineering, Optics, Physics, or related discipline with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; or Master’s degree in similar disciplines.
- Minimum of a 3.0 GPA.
- Experience with UNIX or Linux operating systems.
- Experience in Tcl and or Perl scripting language.
- Experience/understanding of digital electronics, digital data busses and protocols, systems implemented with digital electronics.
- Experience/understanding of hardware/software interfaces
- Experience/understanding of test procedures and test of digital functions.
- Experience with standard lab test equipment, such as power supplies, oscilloscopes and DMMs
- Experience with EGSE used for test of electronic assemblies.
- Knowledge of one or more high-level general-purpose programming languages, such as C/C++, Java, Python, or similar language.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated effectiveness in a team environment.
- Ability to work independently under a set schedule.
- Knowledge of and/or experience with real-time operating system.
- Familiarity with model based systems engineering (MBSE) tools and techniques.
- Ability to capture customer requirements.
- Basic understanding of system engineering and development process.
- Strong interest infusing new approaches to verification and test development into legacy developments.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109