IT Sr. Software Systems Engineer
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We are seeking a motivated and customer-oriented IT Software Systems Engineer to apply their leadership skills to a large portfolio of challenging software development and support projects. As a JPL Systems Engineer your task is to look at a system, or subsystem, identify the requirements for and from it, make sure it meets those requirements and is built, integrated and operates to those requirements, and prove all of those things. You will be the voice of the system throughout the product development life cycle, providing critical thinking about tradeoffs and compromises and maintain a generalists view of the system versus specialists view.
Your first responsiblity is about getting the right design -- and then about maintaining and enhancing its technical integrity and managing the complexity with good processes to get the design right. You will define the interfaces in a system design to minimize unintended interactions and simplify development and operations and then document and control the design.
We value excellent communication skills, agility in adapting to change and proven success in working with high-performing teams.
- Develop viable requirements for highly complex and critical software system architectures. Ensure system is achievable within available resources and project timeline and ensure that requirements are met
- Design and define system architecture for new or existing highly complex and critical computer-based systems.
- Lead design effort; establish design patterns and rules; research and apply best industry practices.
- Develop highly complex and critical software and data architectural models; use current practice and recommend improvements.
- Serve as a liaison to the customer throughout the entire system life cycle; advise customer and management.
- Develop prototypes and storyboards to validate user requirements.
- Maintain system integrity by assessing and determining stable steps in development.
- Establish and implement highly complex and critical system software life cycle processes; advise customers and management
- Partner with other engineers and management to oversee highly complex and critical system integration.
- Verify and approve highly complex and critical test plans.
- Lead the evaluation, modification and improvements to the testing processes and results for software systems and subsystems that have substantial impact.
- Work with customers to develop high level requirements and to track them in JIRA
- Develop diagrams, workflows, and high-level architecture and integration diagrams
- Bachelor's degree in Software Systems Engineering, Information Technology, Information Systems, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or other relevant discipline plus 9 or more years of related experience; or Master's degree in relevant discipline plus 7 or more years experience or Ph.D with 5 plus years in relevant discipline.
- Demonstrated strong strategic thinking skill, and ability to see and convey the big picture; critical thinking and synthesis; ability to deal with ambiguity and adapt to a fast-paced, customer-focused operation; self-starting; excellent listening and communications
- Consistent track record for delivering successful software systems applying standard methodologies.
- Extensive software development skills and familiarity with modern software development practices and tools.
- Solid knowledge and experience with web and software application development.
- Experience with Jira or other software project tracking application
- Experience with a broad set software architectures and technologies, and understand the benefits and trade offs of various web architectures and technologies
- Experience in information architecture and information retrieval
- Experience with draw.io or Magic Draw or similar software diagramming tools
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109