New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
As a Business Analyst you will be working for JPL's Communications and Education Directorate supporting the folks who are responsible for inspiring the next generation of explorers and sharing the excitement of our missions with the world. You will be a member of the Business Management Office and report to the Business Manager.
The ideal candidate will have previously demonstrated a strong sense of collaborative, team player philosophy, knowledge of applicable Laboratory policies and procedures, as well as excellent teaming and communication skills, professionalism, a strong work ethic, a process improvement mindset, and the ability to provide excellent customer service.
Your responsibilities include:
- Prepare and submit Personnel Requisitions.
- Assist with price-outs for new hires.
- Process ECIs for various HR transactions.
- Lead the JPL Awards activities, including calls for NHAs/centralized/decentralized awards.
- Process solicitations for Leased Workers and support on-boarding activities.
- Process and monitor Consulting Agreements.
- May assist HRBP to oversee organization’s training needs.
- Participate in Annual Salary Review (ASR) activities.
- Conduct IWF reporting and analysis.
- Understand short-term and long-term WF needs and provide management with staffing option details.
- Lead the Facilities activities: participates in strategic and detailed planning.
- Assists cognizant individuals with all aspects of acquisitions, including tracking, budgeting and costing of items.
- Use of various software and purchasing methods: iProcurement, P-Card (incl. Flight Hardware, chemicals, etc.), Oracle Acquisitioning (POs, PSs); sole source documentation, and ServiceNow (Mantech).
- Assist in preparing packages for promotions, fellows, and principals.
- Conducting financial analysis which include detailed reviews of planned Cost
and Obligations, Plan vs. Actual and explanation of all variances on direct cost
accounts within the section.
- Developing and maintaining monthly performance cost reports for projects supported
by the section.
- May assist with schedule creation, editing and/or monitoring.
- Participate in and assist with budget planning for cost accounts
- Provide financial reporting & analysis, including preparation for MMRs, QMRs, and ad hoc reviews.
- Prepare Cost Transfer Requests.
- Review and approve financial transfer requests.
- Typically requires a Bachelors degree in Business Administration or related discipline with a minimum of 3 years of related experience; Masters degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 1 years of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 0 years related experience.
- Must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to resolve complex issues independently.
- Knowledge in the areas of financial analysis and reporting, planning and scheduling, working planning, safety, property, human resources and acquisitions.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Applications such as Excel (advance excel, macros, pivot table, vlookup, etc.), Word and PowerPoint.
- A customer service philosophy and professionalism when interfacing with all levels of personnel.
- Ability to present complex findings in a clear, concise manner using graphics, tables and high level summarization
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to implement best business practices in achieving the goals of the organization.
- Knowledge of JPL policies, procedures, processes and financial systems.
- Administrative experience in the areas of financial analysis, budgeting, cost analysis, asset management, workforce planning, and human resources.
- Experience with ORACLE financial and requisition modules.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong excel skills.
- Experience with Excel BI, Power BI, PowerPivot
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Experience with system administration and databases.
- Experience with leading small groups or teams.
- Experience with website design, development and maintenance.
- Experience with Wiki development
- Some programming experience preferred
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109