Staff Assistant IV
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
The Astronomy & Physics Formulation Program Office in the Astronomy & Physics Directorate is seeking an experienced, self-motivated, professional, organized and efficient Staff Assistant Level 4 to provide assistance to multiple senior managers and key program staff in a very dynamic environment, with the ability to reprioritize the workload as needed throughout each workday. In addition, provide support to the Astronomy & Physics Instrument Program Office and other co-located staff. Also provide back-up support to the Astronomy & Physics Directorate office when needed.
- Screening and directing incoming phone calls and mail to appropriate personnel
- Greeting, escorting and directing visitors
- Arranging and processing complex domestic and foreign programmatic and conference travel arrangements and completing reports for the program staff and for external partners (affiliates)
- Arranging logistics for large meetings (both internal and external to JPL) that include JPL employees and external partners, including reserving conference rooms or meeting sites, arranging audiovisual and facilities needs, ordering refreshments, and providing on-site support to those meetings
- Arranging WebEx, Adobe Connect and other audiovisual equipment logistics, managing complex calendars using MS Outlook; creating and modifying PowerPoint presentations;
- Creating and modifying letters, memos, spreadsheets and reports using Word and Excel or online tools like Google Docs or Wikis;
- Maintaining files, both hardcopy and electronic, including using SharePoint and Docushare;
- Purchasing and maintaining supplies using iProcurement and PCard;
- Processing visit requests and managing the on-boarding and off-boarding of affiliate partners using JPLID.
- Typically requires a High School diploma with a minimum of 10 years of related experience; Associates’ degree with a minimum of 6 year of related experience; Bachelor’s degree and 3 year of related experience or related training.
- Thorough understanding of general job aspects specifically in the secretarial/administrative support profession with strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Expert knowledge of office procedures and proficiency in office automation applications: MS Office, Outlook email and calendar,
- Willingness to learn new technologies and tools to enhance and/or improve office procedures and processes as needed.
- Excellent customer service attitude and professionalism in interfacing with all levels of personnel within and across multiple organizations and centers
- Ability to work effectively as a team member
- Ability to balance competing priorities, work effectively under pressure and prioritize work in a multi-tasking environment.
- Highly organized with excellent planning & scheduling skills, typing, spelling, grammar, written and oral communication skills.
- Proactive self-starter who takes the initiative to perform activities and recognize and resolve unusual or nonstandard problems.
- Ability to evaluate situations and apply good judgment in any necessary resolution.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully handle discreet information.
- Ability to function without direct supervision
- Ability to maintain a professional looking work space environment
- Thorough knowledge of JPL’s policies, procedures, and practices.
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) in timekeeping, Concur travel system, foreign and domestic travel policies and procedures, managing logistics for and supporting large program/project meetings
- Knowledge of SharePoint, Docushare, iProcurement, JPLID, WebEx, Adobe Connect, and conference room equipment
- Ability to travel in order to support off-site meetings
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109