Staff Assistant III
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
As the Section Staff Assistant Level 3 for the Flight Communications Systems Section, you will provide administrative/clerical support to section office. This is primarily is an administrative support position, demonstrating a solid customer orientation, great organizational skills and flexibility in the performance of the job. You will be a member of the Business Administration Section and report to the Business Administration Manager.
Tasks may include, but are not limited to:
- Provide secretarial support to Section management, their staff, and group members.
- Coordinate and maintain busy and complex calendars, schedule and maintain standing staff meetings, set up and host WebEx conferencing calls.
- Coordinate conference room scheduling
- Process and prepare domestic and foreign travel logistics/bookings, authorization requests, and expense reports.
- Coordinate and submit foreign travel and heavily-attended forecasts for the Section.
- Perform other subject matter duties for travel policies and procedures and timekeeping.
- Serve as the Section's Docushare Librarian.
- Update and maintain the Section’s online directory, group email distribution lists, and org chart.
- Serve as the Section’s Records Liaison by ensuring the Section records are organized and preserved in accordance with the provisions of JPL Records Management.
- Submit Visitor and On-Boarding badge access requests. Assists with escorting visitors and handling logistics for recruiting efforts, interviews, and short-term visitors.
- Compose and edit correspondence and presentation materials.
- Maintain the Section’s office supplies and perform ongoing inventory; process necessary procurements by utilizing iProcurements, Purchase Requisitions, and P-Cards.
- Coordinate special events for the Section, such as All-hands, management retreats, seminars, and other and ad hoc activities.
- Participate on teams within own organization; may participate on a team outside own organization.
- Other ad hoc duties, as assigned.
- Typically requires a High School diploma with a minimum of 8 years of related experience; Associates degree with a minimum of 4 years of related experience; or Bachelors degree with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; related required training.
- Extensive expertise in the secretarial profession with strong organizational, computer and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent planning and scheduling skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure on multiple complex tasks, and work independently with minimal supervision to meet commitments with high quality products.
- Motivated self-starter who takes the initiative to establish and implement process improvements.
- Ability to evaluate situations and apply good judgment in any necessary resolution.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel and provide excellent customer service.
- Must exercise proper discretion when handling assignments of a discreet nature and when dealing with sensitive material.
- Must be a team player.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Extensive understanding of JPL/ESD policies, procedures, and practices.
- Staff Assistant experience in a technical Section office environment.
- Experience with JPL tools such as Docushare, JPLID, UCS, Concur Travel, and Timekeeping.
- Knowledge of JPL procurement processes such as Purchase Requisition, P-Card and iProcurement.
- Familiarity with the JPL-ID process and on-boarding of volunteers, affiliates, and foreign nationals.
- Experience with Visio and SharePoint.
- Experience with JPL foreign and domestic travel policies and procedures.
- Willingness to look for, learn, and apply new Information Technology (IT) tools to office procedures and processes.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109