Business Administrator II
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We are seeking a Business Administrator - Level 2, reporting to the Flight Communications Systems Section Business Administration Manager, to support Section Management in the areas of financial analysis, analytics and reporting, workforce planning, human resource functions, and ad hoc assignments. The position will collaborate with Section Management to assist in the implementation of the Section's goals and objectives.
The ideal candidate will have previously demonstrated a strong sense of collaborative, team player philosophy, knowledge of applicable Laboratory policies and procedures, as well as excellent teaming and communication skills, professionalism, a strong work ethic, a process improvement mindset, and the ability to provide excellent customer service. As a member of the Flight Communications Systems Business Operations Team, you will be supporting Section Management in all aspects of business and administrative duties.
- Assist the Business Administration Manager with a variety of activities including budget planning and financial analysis, reporting, processing personnel requisitions, rewards and recognition, workforce analysis, facilities including office space utilization, laboratory and technical space, annual safety and inventory reviews, and property management.
- Conduct complex financial analysis support to the sections technical staff, and management, review and approve financial journals, and prepare budgets.
- Recommend budgetary priorities and/or corrective actions and develop baseline budgets.
- Collaborate with Technical Staff to resolve and document staffing plans, workforce forecast analysis and workforce reports.
- Oversee weekly and monthly financials for the service center.
- Coordinate monthly and quarterly reporting activities across the section.
- Develop automated reports and business metrics.
- Serve as the point of contact for directing safety, environmental, property and facility-related business operations.
- May serve as the back-up for the Business Administration Manager.
- Perform ad hoc duties as assigned.
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, or related discipline with a minimum of 3 years of related experience; Master’s degree in similar disciplines with 1 year of related experience.
- Must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to resolve complex issues independently.
- Knowledge in one or more of the following areas: budgeting, financial analysis, reporting, human resources, workforce planning, safety, property, or facility management.
- Extensive understanding and wide application of standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in Business Administration, Financial Planning, Workforce Administration, Safety and Facility Management.
- A successful history of establishing trust with customers and working as a strong, collaborative business partner.
- Ability to present complex findings in a clear, concise manner using graphics, tables and high level summarization – both orally and in writing.
- Must have the ability to use tact and discretion when working with sensitive and confidential data.
- Strong professional characteristics: trustworthy, responsible, hardworking, intellectually curious individual who takes initiative and ownership of work.
- Must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to plan, prioritize, multi-task and complete assignments with minimal supervision.
- Excellent customer service, organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven ability to implement best business practices in achieving the goals of the section.
- Wide breadth of knowledge of JPL policies, procedures, processes and financial systems.
- Extensive administrative experience in the areas of financial analysis, budgeting, cost analysis, asset management, workforce planning, and human resources.
- Demonstrated experience with ORACLE financials and requisition modules, as well as reporting tools such as OBIEE, Data Extractor, Discoverer, IBT, PEG, CFMR, COBRA, Project Scheduling and all JPL web applications.
- Familiarity with proposal calls and processes.
- Experience with financial and budgeting needs of small research and technology proposals (R&TD, SURP, PDF, NIAC, ROSES, DARPA, etc.).
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109