AWS Cloud Engineer
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
Exciting opportunity to work on JPL’s Mars 2020 mission scheduled to launch in July 2020. As the AWS Cloud Software Engineer you will support the continuous integration and build and deployment process and infuse project software capabilities into the M2020 CS3 (Common Software and Services Subsystem).
The AWS hosted environment will be used by other subsystems in the Ground Data Systems (GDS). In addition, you will work and support the GDS leadership team or GDS engineers to implement, maintain, support, monitor and troubleshoot GDS infrastructure through architecture guidance, best practices, capacity planning and more.
You will report to the Group Supervisor for the Common Software Services Group.
Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Science, Computer Science or related discipline with a minimum of 6 years of related experience; Master’s degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 4 years of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 2 years related experience.
- Experience with design, implementation and support of continuous integration and continuous deployments (CI/CD) pipeline.
- Experience designing and building web application environments on AWS, utilizing services such as EC2, S3, ELB/ALB, RDS, ECS, Lambda, API Gateway, ElasticSearch, Config, Cloudwatch Logs, and others.
- Ability to create and utilize AWS Cloud Formation templates, Terraform scripts, Packer, and other related tools to automate creation of ‘fully-baked’ AWS AMI’s
- Experience with DevOps tools such as Jenkins, GitHub, Ansible, Puppet, Artifactory, Docker, Terraform, and Packer
- Experience writing automation tools and scripts with languages such as Node, Python, or Go
- Proficient in various computer languages and demonstrate a full understanding of programming best practices
- Knowledge of industry best practices in the following areas of IT infrastructure (compute, storage, network database, and cyber security), cloud technologies and managed services, data management, cyber security infrastructure, centralized monitoring infrastructure, venue management, infrastructure-as-code, continuous integration, build & release engineering, automation, and system operations.
- Proven experience designing and building a high-availability common infrastructure environment suitable for software intensive project use, utilizing modern infrastructure technologies and best practices to automate provisioning of infrastructure (infrastructure-as-code).
- Demonstrated experience leading teams in use of on-premise and cloud environments.
- Experience designing, implementing and maintaining infrastructure for projects from development to operations lifecycle.
- Proven ability to establish task priorities and manage change as project IT systems evolve.
- Proven ability to resolve highly complex and/or technical system issues.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong commitment to customer satisfaction with effective broad-based teamwork skills.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect Associate preferred AWS Certified Solutions Architect Professional preferred
- Familiarity with standard IT security practices such as encryption, certificates and key management
If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109