Staff Assistant II
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We are seeking a motivated and dedicated Staff Assistant Level 2 with an active TS/SCI clearence that will provide administrative & clerical support to multiple technical groups and back-up existing staff. You will be a member of the Business Administration Group and report to the Business Administration Manager. You will need to demonstrate a solid customer service orientation and great organizational skills in the performance of the job.
Tasks may include, but are not limited to:
- Preparing and processing domestic travel and generating travel reports
- Coordinating visit requests
- Purchasing, using JPL’s iProcurement and P-Card
- Prioritizing work and completing assignments accurately and in a timely manner
- Coordinate meetings via Outlook, maintaining conference room schedules, arranging conference calling
- Assisting with preparation of presentations, graphics, and website inputs, including proofreading and editing
- Update and maintain Excel spreadsheets
- Coordinating office moves
- May assist in performing ergonomic evaluations, updating Work Authorization Memos, coordinating on-site and off-site workshops and other ad hoc assignments.
- Escort VIPs and trades workers (standing for a minimum of 30 minutes, multiple times per day)
- Experience in the secretarial profession with strong organizational, computer and interpersonal skills.
- Solid planning and scheduling skills.
- Ability to work effectively under pressure on multiple complex tasks, and work independently with minimal supervision to meet commitments with high quality products.
- Motivated self-starter with strong initiative.
- Ability to evaluate situations and apply good judgment.
- Typically requires a High School diploma with a minimum of 6 years of related experience; or an Associates degree with a minimum of 1 year of related experience and related required training.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Must exercise appropriate discretion when handling assignments of a discreet nature and when dealing with sensitive material.
- Be a strong team player and work collaboratively in fast paced environment with variety and change.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Must be able to lift 15lbs unassisted and traverse the hilly Lab topography.
NOTE: Must be a U.S. Citizen with an active Top Secret (TS) clearance based upon Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) within a 5 year scope and must be approved for Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) accesses
- Bachelors degree in Business, English or degree in similar disciplines.
- Ability to identify, learn, and apply new processes to improve office operations.
- General understanding of facilities, safety, property and applies knowledge and skills in these areas.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109