With an unmatched history creating groundbreaking advances in science and technology, JPL has been in the space exploration business since the beginning. Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build teamwork, and reward excellence.
We resonate with people who are looking for ways to go further and offer an opportunity to be part of a team of passionate and dedicated engineers working with some of the world’s best capabilities and cutting- edge technology in science, technology, and engineering. We take great pride in JPL’s innovative work culture, and offer a comprehensive benefits plan, relocation, tuition reimbursement, and generous Caltech retirement contributions.
We are seeking a motivated and analytical individual that can work well, both independently and in a team environment, to serve as an Auditor in our Subcontractor Audit & Compliance Office (SACO). This unique opportunity is part of the Financial Management Division, which supports the exploration and innovation of the laboratory's missions by working with our colleagues and subcontractors to guarantee compliance to the Prime Contract and maintain the integrity of JPL's financials. The Division's functions encompass Institutional Accounting, Travel and Invoice Management, Financial Planning, Analysis & Compliance, and the Strategic Planning & Innovation Office. The Division ensures that the finance and accounting policy and procedures of the laboratory are efficient, effective and compliant with relevant regulations so that JPL can "Dare Mighty Things." We pride ourselves on providing innovative solutions to overcome business challenges facing JPL on a regular basis. Our collaborative teaming approach ensures us a unique window into the amazing work being accomplished at JPL.
As an Auditor, you will be responsible for performing and reporting on a wide range of complex subcontract related audits in connection with procurement and contracting activities between JPL and its various subcontractors. These audits will be conducted in accordance with the JPL business practices and the Government Auditing Standards (GAS). You will provide audit support, accounting and financial analysis, and advisory services.
Some Challenges You Will Tackle:
- Perform complex JPL subcontractor audits for multiple functions that cover a variety of areas.
- Validate the costs incurred and billed, including final invoices, to ensure consistency and accuracy.
- Analyze accounting, estimating, billing and timekeeping systems and related internal controls to ensure adequacy.
- Evaluate proposed rates and factors.
- Assess regulatory and contractual compliance.
- Utilize risk-based assessment techniques to determine audit scope.
- Assist in special ad-hoc audits and assignments for JPL Senior Management as requested.
- Frequent interactions with customers and peers internal and external of the organization.
- Exercise discretion and independent judgement in evaluating potential audit issues and recommending solutions.
- Contribute as a key team member on teams inside or outside own organization, project, activity or function.
You Must Have:
- A Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance or related discipline, with a minimum of 3 years of related experience; Master's degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 1 year of related experience.
- A complete understanding and wide application of principles, theories, and concepts in accounting and/or auditing.
- Design mindset with the ability to represent and develop task and work processes for desired outcomes.
- Ability to coordinate, write, edit, and produce a wide range of technical reports on subcontract audits and compliance with applicable regulatory requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure and meet commitments, including deadlines and budgets.
- Advanced skills in PC/Windows platform and Microsoft Office.
- Willingness to travel up to 30%.
Got These? Even Better:
- Basic knowledge or some exposure to one or more related fields of: Cost Accounting Standards (CAS), Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR), OMB Uniform Guidance and Government Auditing Standards (GAS) as it pertains to Government Contract Compliance and/or Government Procurement.
- Desire to lead a multi-functional team for a project, activity, or function within scope of assigned responsibility.
- Relish in developing creative and innovative solutions.
- Ability to leverage new media literacy for efficient and persuasive communication.
- Possess strong presentation skills and a working knowledge with supporting visual aids.
- Some knowledge of Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations across a range of applications including the NASA FAR Supplement.
- Demonstrated ability to be adaptable, flexible, and resilient.
- Possess sound business judgement and is detailed oriented in analyzing information and problems.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109