Business Analyst II
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We are seeking a Business Analyst, reporting to the Component Engineering and Assurance Section Business Administration Manager, to support Section Management in the areas of financial analysis, analytics and reporting, workforce planning, and ad hoc assignments.
The position will collaborate with Section Management to assist in the implementation of the Section's goals and objectives.
The ideal candidate will have previously demonstrated a strong sense of collaborative, team player philosophy, knowledge of applicable Laboratory policies and procedures, as well as excellent teaming and communication skills, professionalism, a strong work ethic, a process improvement mindset, and the ability to provide excellent customer service.
As a member of the Component Engineering and Assurance Business Operations Team, you will be supporting Section Management in all aspects of business and administrative duties.
- Assist the Business Administration Manager with the management of 2 service centers including budgeting, creating service orders, reconciling upload failures, preparing annual call packages, monitoring and evaluating cost distribution variances, and recommending changes and/or enhancements to processes and procedures
- Developing baseline budgets, preparing and distributing weekly, monthly, and/or quarterly obligation and cost analysis and variance reports to managers, technical staff, MAMs, CAMs, Cost Accounting and others as needed
- Conduct complex financial analysis support to the sections technical staff and management.
- Recommend budgetary priorities and/or corrective actions and develop baseline budgets.
- Collaborate with technical staff on workforce forecast analysis and reports.
- Oversee and coordinate the monthly and quarterly reporting of financials and workforce across the section.
- Develop automated reports and business metrics using OBIEE.
- May serve as the back-up for the Business Administration Manager.
- Perform ad hoc duties as assigned.
- Typically requires a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Finance, or related discipline with a minimum of 3 years of related experience; Master’s degree in similar disciplines with 1 year of related experience.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to resolve complex issues independently.
- Knowledge in one or more of the following areas: budgeting, financial analysis, reporting, and workforce planning.
- Ability to present complex findings in a clear, concise manner using graphics, tables and high level summarization – both orally and in writing.
- Ability to use tact and discretion when working with sensitive and confidential data.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently and in a team environment.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to plan, prioritize, multi-task and complete assignments with minimal supervision.
- Excellent customer service, organizational, interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Detailed understanding and experience in the following areas: Service Center policies, procedures, and practices, JPL business policies and procedures
- Extensive administrative experience in the areas of financial analysis, budgeting, cost analysis, and workforce planning.
- Experience using JPL business tools such as IBT, OBIEE, Data Extractor
- Understanding of NASA policies and procedures relating to funding and cost practices
- Familiarity with JPL proposal activities and processes
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109