Staff Assistant III
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
With an unmatched history creating groundbreaking advances in science and technology, JPL has been in the space exploration business since the beginning. Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build teamwork, and reward excellence.
We resonate with people who are looking for ways to go further and offer an opportunity to be part of a team of passionate and dedicated engineers working with some of the world’s best capabilities and cutting- edge technology in science, technology, and engineering. We take great pride in JPL’s innovative work culture, and offer a comprehensive benefits plan, relocation, tuition reimbursement, and generous Caltech retirement contributions.
As Staff Assistant Level 3 you will be working for JPL's Electronic Manufacturing, Packaging, & Technical Services Section, which provides engineering services that include the following: fabrication of electronics (boards and cables/harnesses), microelectronic and photonic hardware; electronic packaging, manufacturing engineering and electronic hardware thermal/structural analysis; advanced electronic packaging engineering, technology development and process engineering; technical facilities management and cleanroom services/certification; custom measurement systems development and instrumentation services; calibration services, test equipment loan pool and metrology engineering, and technical inventory management, cryogenics services and Flight Hardware Logistics Program (FHLP).
We are seeking a self-motivated individual who can work well both independently and in a team environment to serve as a Group Staff Assistant Level III who will provide administrative & clerical support to multiple technical groups within the Electronic Fabrication Group and back-up support to the Section Office within the Engineering and Science Division. This is primarily an administrative support position demonstrating a solid customer orientation, great organizational skills and being agile and flexible in the performance of the job.
- Provide secretarial support to Section Management, the Business Administration Manager and technical staff.
- Manage complex calendars for Section management and conference room schedules
- Coordinate meetings via Outlook, and arrange conference calls via WebEx.
- Preparing and processing foreign and domestic travel, generating travel reports, processing affiliate badge requests for domestic and foreign visitors and escorting visitors as necessary.
- Answer phones, process visitor’s requests, update the Section's organization charts and perform ad-hoc assignments as necessary.
- P-card purchasing, requisitions and iProcurement orders.
- Assisting with preparation of presentations, graphics, and website inputs, including proofreading and editing, coordinating office moves and new hire preparations.
- May assist in performing ergonomic evaluations, updating WAMs, coordinating on-site and off-site workshops and other ad hoc assignments.
- Assist with Early Career/Experienced/Contractor hire on-lab interviews. Including, but not limited to preparation of interview schedule, escorting, etc.
- Providing oﬃce support to multiple technical groups within the Tracking Systems and Applications Section, as well as providing back-up support to the Section Office and other groups as needed.
- Demonstrating a solid customer service orientation, great organization skills, and ﬂexibility in the performance of the job.
- Prioritizing work and completing assignments accurately and in a timely manner.
- Regularly supporting multiple and varied ad hoc assignments.
- Typically requires a High School diploma with a minimum of 8 years of related experience; Associates degree with a minimum of 4 years of related experience; or Bachelors degree with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; related required training.
- Advanced understanding of both general and detailed aspects of job and work techniques in the area of secretarial or administrative assistant; as well as practical applications to problems and situations ordinarily encountered.
- Advanced understanding of office procedures and personal computer applications (Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook, Adobe Acrobat, and Visio).
- Excellent planning and scheduling skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure on multiple complex tasks, and work independently with minimal supervision to meet commitments with high quality products.
- Willingness to learn new technologies and tools to enhance and/or improve oﬃce procedures and processes.
- Motivated self-starter who takes the initiative to establish and implement process improvements.
- Ability to evaluate situations and apply good judgement in any necessary resolution.
- Must be a team player with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel and provide excellent customer service.
- Must exercise proper discretion when handling assignments of a discreet nature and when dealing with sensitive material.
- Proven success in the administrative support profession with the ability to maintain patience and composure in a dynamic work environment that includes interruptions and changing priorities.
- Highly organized and extensive experience calendaring complex schedules
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) in Timekeeping
- Extensive understanding of JPL/ESD policies, procedures, and practices.
- Staff Assistant experience in a technical section office environment.
- Experience using JPL-based tools such as Concur, Service Order Modules, Timekeeping, Requisitions, P-card, UCS, WAMs, Property Manager Gateway Administrator, and JPL-ID.
- Experience with the JPL-ID process and on-boarding of volunteers, affiliates, and foreign nationals.
- Experience with JPL foreign and domestic travel policies and procedures.
- Familiar with MS Project, Access, Sharepoint, Photoshop, Publisher.
- Ability to identify, learn, and apply new processes to improve oﬃce operations.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109