Staff Assistant II
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
As a Group Staff Assistant Level 2 you will perform administrative/clerical support for various technical groups within the Planning and Execution Systems Section; reporting to the Business Administration Manager and providing back-up support for the Section Office. This role is best suited for a team member that demonstrates great organizational skills, strong customer focus with the ability to work successfully under pressure on multiple tasks, meeting commitments on time, while delivering quality products with minimal supervision; requiring general instructions on routine work, and detailed instructions for new assignments. Must be a motivated and collaborative team player, organized, detail-oriented, takes the initiative to establish and implement process-improvements and have a willingness to learn and take on new or adhoc assignments. Must enjoy working in a fast-paced, high volume and dynamic organization.
Tasks may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Preparing complex foreign and domestic travel arrangements and generating travel reports.
- Processing affiliate badge requests for domestic and foreign visitors and escorting, as necessary.
- Processing procurement requests via P-card and iProcurement orders.
- Scheduling meetings via Outlook, maintaining conference room schedules, arranging conference calls via WebEx.
- Assisting with preparation of presentations, graphics, and website inputs, including proofreading and editing.
- Assisting with new employee on-boarding activities including office moves, new-hire provision arrangements and new hire preparations.
- Assisting with Early Career/Experienced/Contractor hire recruiting including but not limited to: preparing interview schedules, escorting, etc.
- Helping with the planning and coordinating of Section seminars, workshops and social events.
- May assist with ergonomic evaluations, safety walkthroughs, and property and asset inventories.
This position typically requires a High School diploma with a minimum of 6 years of related experience; Associates degree with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; related required training:
- Experience in the secretarial profession with strong organizational, computer and interpersonal skills.
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel.
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong planning, scheduling, and coordinating abilities.
- Ability to evaluate situations and apply good judgement on best available resolution.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel and provide excellent support for a variety of customers.
- Must exercise proper discretion when handling assignments of a discreet nature and when dealing with sensitive material.
- Experience with JPL foreign and domestic travel policies and procedures and tools.
- Knowledge of JPL procurement processes such as Purchase Requisition, P-Card and iProcurement.
- Familiarity with the JPL-ID process and on-boarding of employees, volunteers, affiliates, and foreign nationals.
- Experience with JPL tools such as Docushare, JPLID, UCS, Travel and Timekeeping.
- Extensive understanding of JPL/ESD policies, procedures, and practices.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109