Administrative Assistant (Office Operations)
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That’s our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers—literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission—your opportunity—is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you’re driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you’re ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We resonate with people who are looking for ways to go further and offer an opportunity to be part of a team of passionate and dedicated engineers working with some of the world’s best capabilities and cutting- edge technology in science, technology, and engineering. We take great pride in JPL’s innovative work culture, and offer a comprehensive benefits plan, relocation, tuition reimbursement, and generous Caltech retirement contributions.
We seek a self-motivated individual who can work well both independently and in a team environment to serve as a Group Staff Assistant Level II who will provide administrative & clerical support to multiple technical groups within the Section. You will report to the Business Administration Manager. This is primarily an administrative support position demonstrating a solid customer orientation, great organizational skills and being agile and flexible in the performance of the job. As Group Staff Assistant Level 2 you will be working for JPL's Spacecraft Mechanical Engineering Section, which leads the development of mission enabling technology and end-to-end mechanical systems for all JPL flagship projects and missions.
Your responsibilities include:
- Providing oﬃce support to multiple technical groups within the Spacecraft Mechanical Engineering Section.
- Demonstrating a solid customer service orientation, great organization skills, and ﬂexibility in the performance of the job.
- Prioritizing work and completing assignments accurately and in a timely manner.
- Preparing and processing foreign and domestic travel, generating travel reports, processing affiliate badge requests for domestic and foreign visitors and escorting visitors as necessary.
- P-card purchasing, requisitions and iProcurement orders.
- Coordinate meetings via Outlook, maintaining conference room schedules, arranging conference calls via WebEx.
- Assisting with preparation of presentations, graphics, and website inputs, including proofreading and editing, coordinating office moves and new hire preparations.
- Assisting in updating WAMs, coordinating on-site and off-site workshops and other ad hoc assignments.
- Assisting with Early Career/Experienced/Contractor hire on-lab interviews. Including, but not limited to preparation of interview schedule, escorting, etc.
- Regularly supporting multiple and varied ad hoc assignments.
Typically requires a High School diploma with a minimum of 6 years of related experience; Associates degree with a minimum of 1 year of related experience; related required training.
- Solid understanding of general job aspects specifically in the secretarial/administrative support profession with strong organizational skills.
- Thorough understanding of office procedures and office automation applications: MS Office, Word, Excel, Power Point, Adobe Acrobat, Outlook and applies knowledge and skills in this area.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under pressure on multiple tasks while meeting commitments with high quality results and output.
- Willingness to learn new technologies and tools to enhance and/or improve office procedures and processes.
- Motivated self-starter who takes the initiative to perform activities and resolve unusual or nonstandard problems.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully handle discreet information.
- Excellent customer service and teaming skills.
- Proven success in the administrative support profession with the ability to maintain patience and composure in a dynamic work environment that includes interruptions and changing priorities.
- Ability to evaluate situations and apply good judgement in any necessary resolution.
- Must be a team player with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of JPL/ESD policies, procedures, and practices.
- Experience with JPL foreign and domestic travel processes and requirements.
- Demonstrated experience coordinating a workshop, seminar, or social event.
- Subject Matter Expert (SME) in timekeeping, travel, and calendaring.
- Familiar with MS Project, Access, Sharepoint, Photoshop, Publisher
- Ability to identify, learn, and apply new processes to improve office operations.
- General understanding of facilities, safety, property and applies knowledge and skills in these areas.
- Experience using JPL-based tools such as Concur, Service Order Modules, Requisitions, P-card, WAMs, Property Manager Gateway Administrator, and JPL-ID.
- Willingness to look for, learn, and apply new Information Technology (IT) tools to office procedures and processes.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109