Psyche ATLO Deputy Manager
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That is our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, and then literally search the universe for answers. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission, your opportunity, is to seek out the answers that bring us one-step closer.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
With an unmatched history creating groundbreaking advances in science and technology, JPL has been in the space exploration business since the beginning. Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other; We inspire passion, foster innovation, build teamwork, and reward excellence.
We resonate with people who are looking for ways to go further and offer an opportunity to be part of a team of passionate and dedicated engineers working with some of the world's best capabilities and cutting-edge technology in science and engineering. We take great pride in JPL's innovative work culture, and offer a comprehensive benefits plan, relocation, tuition reimbursement, and generous Caltech retirement contributions.
If you are passionate about spacecraft design, we invite you to join the Flight Systems Engineering, Integration and Test Section. We provide systems engineering for the design and implementation of spacecraft for the laboratory's key flight projects. Our work spans spacecraft systems engineering, payload systems integration, electrical systems integration, fault protection and autonomy design, landing systems design, spacecraft assembly and test, systems verification and validation, and systems modeling.
We are seeking a highly motivated and experienced engineering leader to serve as the System Integration & Test (Sl&T) Deputy Manager for the Psyche Project. You will report administratively to the Group Supervisor for Systems Integration, Test, and Launch Systems Engineering, and programmatically to the Psyche Sl&T Manager as your primary technical stakeholder. As the SI& T Deputy Manager, you will provide tactical direction to the System Testbed team, ensuring that System Testbed activities are properly phased and synchronized with the SI& T activities.
Tasks will include but not limited:
- Provide oversight to Psyche Systems level I& T and Systems Testbed (STB) efforts.
- Participate with the planning, execution, mentoring of SI& T team members, and oversight of all Flight System and STB I& T activities at JPL and at the Launch Site (KSC) along with the SI& T Manager.
- Assume all responsibilities with full budget and decision authority in the absence of the SI& T Manager. This includes being responsible for the management of the SI& T team, including the overall cost, schedule and technical aspects of the activities.
- Work with the SI& T Manager to meet all critical project milestones and reviews as required and provide status and coordination with line management and project management as required.
- Work with other Sl&T leads, Flight System Engineering, Instrument Systems Engineering, and subsystem delivery elements to ensure a thorough and successful end-to-end test program for the hardware, software, and other project elements tested on the Flight System and STB venues.
- Responsible for the safety and security of workforce, hardware (BB/EM/FLT), and the associated support equipment.
The qualified candidate will have prior experience conceptualizing, developing, implementing, and successfully executing an ATLO campaign lifecycle, The Minimum technical qualifications include:
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, physical sciences, or mathematics with a minimum of 12 years of professional experience, or master's degree with 10 years of experience, or doctorate with 8 years of experience
- Demonstrated skills leading development of highly complex and unique system engineering or system integration and test plans that are critical to mission success and have Laboratory wide impact.
- Significant experience leading multidisciplinary system engineering or test teams on significant impact assignment.
- Proven ability in resource management and demonstrated ability to manage within budget.
- Demonstrated knowledge of processes that are used to verify/validate the design requirements of systems.
- Experience in testing of systems, including test planning, test procedure development, and data analysis.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to collaborate successfully with other technical organizations, both inside and outside JPL.
- Demonstrated experience with estimating staffing resources and costs that cross Division and Institutional boundaries.
- Ability to negotiate support from technical Divisions and contractor organizations.
- Strong leadership skills of a multidisciplinary team that comprises of representatives of several Divisions and/or multiple contractor organizations.
- Previous experience managing team with schedule and cost constraints.
- Experience with development of formal procedures and documentation and dealing with Contamination Control requirements.
- Ability to react to frequent changes in plans and excel in a rapid pace concurrent engineering environment.
- Complete knowledge of Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations across a range of applications.
- Understanding of the proper application of JPL design principles, flight project practices, hardware-handling constraints, and the JPL risk management practices.
The most competitive candidates will satisfy some of the following:
- Prior ATLO Management lifecycle experience on a Class A Mission
- Willingness to obtain a security clearance if applying from outside Section 313
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include for employment members of underrepresented minority groups, females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated Countries List is available at http://oiir.hq.nasa.gov/nasaecp/
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109